I'm about to write a new program in Visual Basic. I have Visual Studio 6.0, but it's limitations are starting to become a problem and I'm wondering about trying Visual Studio 2008 Express (unfortunately purchasing the full version is not an option). I would hate to get halfway through and find out that the Express version has even worse limitations. So anybody have experience with both and can tell me which would be better? My program is for XP and involves a lot of communication with SQL Server 2005, and Access and Excel 2003. My main draw to the Visual Studio 2008 Express is that it should have many features of an OOP (polymorphism, inheritance, etc etc etc) that VB 6 lacks.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>SQL Server 2005
Probably requires $$ or the professional version of vb.net 2008. I think the number of client connections is clipped on the express edition.

That's exactly the type of issue that I'm worried about. I'm guessing there are lots of little limitations that could show up at the most inopportune moments.

Am using visual basic express edition 2008 (free Version) and its extremely perfect

Member Avatar for iamthwee

That's exactly the type of issue that I'm worried about. I'm guessing there are lots of little limitations that could show up at the most inopportune moments.

Well I guess that's how microsoft make their money. The express edition is perfect for everything, expect database programs. I found with sql express there wasn't any option for adding other databases like mysql etc (sql and access were the only valid two), and the number of client connections was clipped to about 5 or something silly like that.

Even if you brought the professional version I still think you would have to pay depending on how many client connections you wish to use in your program, especially if you're using your program for commercial use.

did you know the code on how vb 6.0 to vb.net2008 or vb .net 2008 to vb 6.0? using visual basic 6.0

Hi, its better to use Microsoft visual studio 2008 rather than vb 6.0 because it has lot of feature. It also include framework. All you have to do is find an installer of visual studio 2008, licensed much better.

The express editions of Microsoft software is used basically for 1) New developers as an inexpensive way to try new lang's and products 2) To test drive the latest and greatest MS has to offer. And as express editions are FREE, yes they are limited to what they can do. As it should be.

As VB6 is old tech, maybe it's time to move on to what's new. Once you get used to the >Net framework, it's the only way to go.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.