Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I am attempting to learn how to work with DirectX and make a game (Visual Studio 2005, C#). I found an extensive tutorial on DirectX games, but I can't find a necessary reference.

Here is a link to the tutorial: http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2006/11/02/938703.aspx

As instructed on the tutorial, I brought in a class called dxmutmisc.cs.
Then I wrote the following into that class: using Microsoft.Samples.DirectX.UtilityToolkit;

There were a number of errors, so I added the Microsoft.DirectX, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, and Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX references.

However, it still gives me the following error:

The type or namespace named 'Framework' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I can't figure out what to do to get rid of this error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

First things first, did you install the latest directx sdk?

At which line item does it complain?
It has to be said they dont mention anything about adding references, and I can see why this could leave you a little high and dry.

Also not aided by clicking on the links to the othersections coming back to me as content not found.

Im assuming it was complaining for Microsoft.Samples.DirectX.UtilityToolkit, if so, its likely theres some DLL in that samples area you need to add to make the reference wake up..

Also, have you considered XNA which also uses directX but has a lot of it wrapped up for you.

I've installed several different SDKs. Actually, I got the dxmutmisc.cs class from a June 2005 SDK (it's not in the newer ones). I think that either I have to add some more files (not sure exactly to what or why) or that the class is just out of date and has an error.

In the tutorial, the reason for using the class is to create a timer for the game. I read that there is a new StopWatch class that I could use from the newer SDKs. So I guess I'll try to use that even though I don't actually know what I'm doing.

I'm not sure about XNA... would I have any legal obligations to Microsoft? Also, can you customize as many features when using XNA?

Anyway, if I figure out how to use the StopWatch method, I might post the changes needed to the tutorial to use a different stopwatch.

XNA is just a framework, it has a lot of options and the only obligation to MS is if you want to put your stuff on the xnacreators website.

I would suggest you download the latest SDK as its quite possible the routines you're after were not finalised or in the version you have. As 2005 is quite a while back now.

I got it to work!

It turns out that at the end of Part I (Introduction) of the tutorial and at the beginning of Part II of the tutorial, it says that it's necessary to comment out a bunch of code in dxmutmisc.cs (all regions within the namespace other than Timer and Native Methods).

After that it works, since the error generating code is just commented out.

I wish that it addressed this earlier in the tutorial.

I've seen at least a few posts about this problem on other websites, so this is what you have to do to get rid of the error, if anyone else is reading.

Thats good, although I did go to read the other parts of the tutorial and all came up as content not found on MS' website, oh well.. Perhaps I caught them at an off moment.

Yea, the links are broken.

You can still go to these articles by typing the name of the article, ie:

beginning game development: part (#)

with (#) being the number of the tutorial,

into google

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.