Hi,

I am a college student who recently signed up for a Computer Science course despite being an utter mess when it comes to math or science (as an aspiring writer, I have a way with words instead). I needed the extra 3 credits and didn't really have any other choice. Now I'm struggling to understand even the most basic of concepts. The class requires that I write and run "simple" programs for homework each week. I was really hoping that this forum could shed some light on the world of Unix Perl programming.

-sobam15

Perl is not very pretty, or concise, but it gets the job done. There are other dynamic scripting languages that will suit you much better, namely Python, but hopefully you won't hate Perl too much ;).

If you must learn Perl, start with this article. I thought that it was rather well-written, and less stuffy than other ones;

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/10/begperl1.html

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.