I have to take a 2d array of [6][8] floats that represent a star map and add the four surrounding numbers to it to measure it's intensity of light. Would something like make sense???

for(i=0;i<6;i++)
  {   
for(j=0;j<8;j++)
  {
stars[i][j+1] + stars[i+1][j] + stars[i-1][j] + stars[i][j-1];}}

instead of writing many lines of this type of code:

stars[1][1] = stars[1][1] + stars[0][1] + stars[2][1] + stars[1][0] + stars[1][2]

Also, I'm reading in the array from a text file with all integers, the array is declared and initialized as 0.0. When I add the numbers in the four surrounding spaces for one position as a test, I get 33 which is the correct answer. When I try to divide that number by 5.0 to get an integer, I get 28.2 instead of 6.6. I tried doing

(float)stars[i][j]

after reading in the int values from the file, but to no avail.

Any suggestions on that?

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have to take a 2d array of [6][8] floats that represent a star map and add the four surrounding numbers to it to measure it's intensity of light. Would something like make sense???

for(i=0;i<6;i++)
  {   
for(j=0;j<8;j++)
  {

stars[1][1] = stars[1][1] + stars[0][1] + stars[2][1] + stars[1][0] + stars[1][2]

Also, I'm reading in the array from a text file with all integers, the array is declared and initialized as 0.0. When I add the numbers in the four surrounding spaces for one position as a test, I get 33 which is the correct answer. When I try to divide that number by 5.0 to get an integer, I get 28.2 instead of 6.6. I tried doing

(float)stars[i][j]

Any suggestions on that?

thanks.

Well, if you can do a loop instead of hard-coding, that is definitely better. However, this:

for(i=0;i<6;i++)
  {   
for(j=0;j<8;j++)
  {

does nothing. All you are doing is adding a bunch of numbers together, but then doing nothing with the result. There is no assignment of a value to a variable.

for(i=0;i<6;i++)
  {   
for(j=0;j<8;j++)
  {

Yes, the loops are better. Just format them correctly.

(float)stars[i][j]

Any suggestions on that?

Yes. Give us the information we need to understand the problem. Code, values, etc...

Well the basic idea is to make a 2d array of numbers that represent stars size [20][20] and add up all of the numbers with their four surrounding "intensities." The array will get these 400 numbers from a text file and will output a text file ascii picture of a star map. I need to ignore the outer stars [0], 19, [0], [19] and just focus on the inner ones while doing the actual adding. The outer rows will be factored into the calculations though.

this is the psudo code I have to work with

(Array(i,j) + sum of the four surrounding intensities / 5 > 6.0

If the added number is greater then 6.0, I need to display a * and if it isn't, a blank line. So I'm thinking of making a parallel 2d array of the same value to build up as I add the stars. Maybe an if/then/else statement within a do while loop???

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.