Hi all,
I want to appear for the SUN certified Java exam. But I have no idea about it. Please help about it. How i prepare myself for this exam...

Please help.... Wating for reply

rishi

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

First you'd best gain experience using Java in a production environment. While it's possible to sit the exam with academic knowledge only it's not recommended.

Then study, study a lot. For the 1.4 SCJP and SCJD exams (exams 310-035 and 310-027) get Kathie Sierra and Bert Bates' certification book (ISBN 0072226846).
Work through the relevant part for your exam (for SCJP that's the first half roughly) several times until you can almost dream the smallest detail.
Do mock exams, lots of mock exams. The exam questions aren't hard if you know your stuff well and are meticulous but they're worded in tricky ways and there are many pitfalls like minute errors in the question code so that it does something totally unrelated to what it seems to be doing. Practice to prepare to see such things.

When you feel ready and get 80+% on mock exams consistently contact Sun Educational services to get an exam voucher.
Then contact an exam center near you (Sun should have a list) to schedule the session.

I'm currently working on the exam myself, hopelessly delayed because I can't find the time to really sit down and study.

A good source for information is also http://www.javaranch.com

Hi jwenting,
thank you......very much.But now i need help. Now I am final year(7th) student of computer science & engg. After complete my course i want to work in field of java. So i want to know what is the best time for appear this exam.(either now or after complete my course).Just now what is the best way for me?

I need your help.I am wating for your reply.

Thank you again.....
Rishi.

You may want to pick up some practical experience using the language first.
This doesn't of course have to be as a professional, you could join an open source project or make something for personal use (maybe together with some friends, study mates).

A few years back certification might have landed you a job. At current companies look for practical experience first of all (certification might still get your CV noticed among a mountain of them but no more).

hi,

I'm only 13 and I've taken the exam twice (and failed). The first time I got a 22% and the second time I got 44%. A really good tool is called Transcender Practice Exam at transcender.com. It is basically 3 different versions of the Java test. It has actual test questions, also. Check out the site and see what u think.

C++

If you used that simulator to fail twice it might be better to stay away from it...

Noone should get a score of 22% or 44% on the exam who knows the subject matter even glancingly.

commented: Rude and Arrogant +0

4 more help, look at Java.io HELP!!!

The IO package is not on the exam.

Passed it today with 87%, yoohoo!

Passed it today with 87%, yoohoo!

Good Job! What percentage do you need to pass?

Also, give me a nice hard question they had on the exam, so I can see if I know it(if he does, no one answer untill I get it).

52% to pass.

Sorry, you have to sign a non disclosure agreement before taking the exam about not mentioning the questions.

First you'd best gain experience using Java in a production environment. While it's possible to sit the exam with academic knowledge only it's not recommended.

Then study, study a lot. For the 1.4 SCJP and SCJD exams (exams 310-035 and 310-027) get Kathie Sierra and Bert Bates' certification book (ISBN 0072226846).
Work through the relevant part for your exam (for SCJP that's the first half roughly) several times until you can almost dream the smallest detail.
Do mock exams, lots of mock exams. The exam questions aren't hard if you know your stuff well and are meticulous but they're worded in tricky ways and there are many pitfalls like minute errors in the question code so that it does something totally unrelated to what it seems to be doing. Practice to prepare to see such things.

When you feel ready and get 80+% on mock exams consistently contact Sun Educational services to get an exam voucher.
Then contact an exam center near you (Sun should have a list) to schedule the session.

I'm currently working on the exam myself, hopelessly delayed because I can't find the time to really sit down and study.

A good source for information is also http://www.javaranch.com

Do you have any idea from where I can get some mock exams?

Do you have any idea from where I can get some mock exams?

Yes. One idea comes directly from Google
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=sun+java+practice+exams&spell=1

A little initiative on your part would have discovered that very quickly. Professional programmers seldom have solutions directly handed to them, which is something worth pondering if you are preparing for certification.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.