is it possible to update a portion of our website via email (if a blank email is sent, the dhtml window will be hidden) if an email with text is sent, it will show the box, saying NEWS and a border, with the text sent via email inside...

when you write again, it would erase the first and post the new text... email a blank email, text box goes away compeletly...
i need a master!
teach me!

thank you
pj

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I suggest you look into existing programs on script archives such as www.hotscripts.com and see if you can find something that does what you want or comes close to doing it.

i have searched already, that is why i am posting here.. i found nothing.. i just searched over at hotscripts, found ntohing there as well... does anyone know if it is possible to do what i ask? i would imagine it is..
i dont know where to start... but i imagine someone knows...
any help and i would greatly appreciate it!

thank you
pj

I am sure it is possible, but it would not be too easy. Your question is considerably beyond the scope of a typical question posted on a forum.

You would need a program that monitors incoming emails, seaches for a certain subject line or an email address and opens the email and extracts the data out of the email. It would need to run checks on the data to make sure its what the script expects.

The script would then do whatever the update is that you need done on the website. The easiest would be to put the data from the email in a file or database then have a script that reads in the data and generates the webpage dynamically, just like this forum does.

This would all have to be custom written for your specifc requirements.

Maybe its time to hire a programmer? Sites like eLance.com and oDesk.com have many programmers from around the world that will bid on your job.

thanks so much for useful info
SNIP

I cant do it via email, incoming mail servers are not easy to access
in php its a trivial matter
this code embeds in the html at the point the news is to appear

<?php $content=filegetcontents('path to uploadfile');
/* code to check & sanitize $content per your requirments */
if !$content { echo '<div class=\'filler\'>watch this space for news updates</div>';
exit; }
echo "<div class='news'>$content</div>"; ?>

to get the news text
and an upload link or ftp to send the data

its not the approach you asked for, but it may work for you, or a perl guru can produce similar code

considering the thread is almost a year old.......

considering the thread is almost a year old.......

unsolved, of vague interest to me, an alternate approach if the op is interested enough to return.

you're welcome

im still here...

This might help: Update website via email

Using our service, you can send emails to quickly and easily update your website instantly. Whatever you put in your emails will appear on your website exactly the way you type it, including special formatting, pictures and other attachments.

http://click-mind.com

Bikaner, Which was till now famous for its savories is very soon going to emerge as a software development city due to arrival of the Click Mind Company. The company describes itself as a global talent development company and offers learning and knowledge solutions to individuals, enterprises and institutions in information technology, business process outsourcing,retail,real estate, banking finance and insurance, executive management education, school education, communication and professional life skills, and vocational skills training.Company ha lot of experience globally in CRM,ERP,open CBS,Core banking,iphone,mobile applications using x-code.Company has well experienced team zone for .net,mogento.joomlal,open cart,e-commerce.

This company being run by Microsoft Professional Sarang Chawla, who aims to provide computer language professional training with the platform of placement skills necessary For students to get placed in IT Companies. Till now, students have to go Jaipur, Delhi, Bangalore for learning professional languages and training. But now with the opening of a center, Students will get all advanced courses in Bikaner it. This, Will definitely bring development.Our creativity is fueled by innovation, dedication. Through our innovative young culture, we are developing solutions of the people, by the people, for the people, to transform this world by making top notch softwares.

Click Mind committed to helping forward-thinking organizations position sustainability as a key lever to long-term success and, ultimately, high performance. We help organizations leverage their assets and capabilities to drive innovation and profitable growth while striving for a positive economic, environmental and social impact.

At click mind:

Our teams spirit is what binds us together to work towards a common goal and deliver beyond expectations.
We co-operate, collaborate, communicate and empower each other in a way that collective efforts translate into exceptional solutions.

Transparency is what makes us stand apart from our contenders. We are honest, ethical and fair in all our activities.

Responsibility to satiate your needs We deliver our promises and acknowledge our mistakes.

When we start any project, we always look at how to strike the best balance between meeting business objectives, delivering an effective and well-designed user experience, and following rigorous software design principles.
We support the principles of agile development and we continuously adapt this methodology so that it fits well within all of our projects, from a simple website, to a multi-platform enterprise application. This allows us to deliver the features with the highest business value first and to progressively deliver fully-functionally validated, and tested versions throughout development.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.