#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

#define _USE_MATH_DEFINES
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

double meanOf3(double value1, double value2, double value3)
{

double mean;
	mean = (value1 + value2 + value3)/3;
	return (mean);
}

int main()
{
	float value1, value2, value3;
	double mean;
	mean=0;

cout <<"Enter the first integer whose square root will be included in the mean: ";
	cin  >>value1;
	cout <<"Enter the second integer whose square root will be included in the mean: ";
	cin  >>value2;
	cout <<"Enter the third integer whose square root will be included in the mean: ";
	cin  >>value3;

value1 = sqrt(value1);
	value2 = sqrt(value2);
	value3 = sqrt(value3);

meanOf3(value1, value2, value3);
	cout <<mean;

}

What I want to do is have 2 functions. One called meanOf3 which will calculate the mean of 3 numbers. The main function will prompt the user for 3 numbers and square root 3 numbers. After that, i would call the meanOf3 to figure out the mean of the squarerooted numbers.

However from what I wrote, I am getting totally wrong results. Can any1 help me out?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

why is that function not returning the mean ? You don't need that last parametewr

double meanOf3(double value1, double value2, double value3)
{
	return  (value1 + value2 + value3)/3;
}

int main()
{
    <snip>
    double mean = meanOf3(value1, value2, value3);

}

Simply combine line 36 and 37 will solve your problem:

[INDENT]cout << meanOf3(value1, value2, value3);[/INDENT]
mean3(value1, value2, value3);

Whats happening here is that your returned value has nothing to come back to. In other words, the function is executing but then the returned value (mean) is flying off into fairy world.

Do what Denniz said, just adding a "cout<<" to the front, or you could also just write:

mean = meanOf3(value1, value2, value3);

Both work fine

Though it is not preffered. You can declare mean as a global variable. So that you can get your program to work Just by snipping out the declarations and the return statement.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.