Hello,

I have a project which involves basic implementations of linked lists, in C.

First though, I have to read the information from a file, which contains all different types(int, char, float) which is my problem...after i read the information into the nodes, it should be smooth sailing..

I was thinking something like...for example the first thing in the file is a name(string), but the next is an int...so I wasnt sure how to get the int after the first string.

while(fscanf("%s",temp.name) != EOF)
{

temp = CreateNode();
setData();
Insert();

}

:cheesy:

any suggestions with reading the information from the file ,and creating the linked list? thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

if you know the order of the data it's as simple as hardcoding the different input conversions in that order. For int that would be a call to atoi which converts a string into an int.
If not you'll have to write some code to detect what the input actually is and call the correct routine based on that...

okay i see what your saying, and I do already know what order the input is, so that makes it easier...so i have something like this...and it does work

fgets(temp ->head.name,50,ifp);
   fgets(temp ->head.foodType,50,ifp);
   fgets(temp ->head.servingSize,50,ifp);

fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.numOfCals);
   fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.amountOfSodium);
   fscanf(ifp,"%f",&temp ->head.gramsOfFat);
   fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.gramsOfChol);
   fscanf(ifp,"%f",&temp ->head.gramsOfSatFat);
   fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.gramsOfCarbs);
   fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.gramsOfSug);
   fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.gramsOfFib);
   fscanf(ifp,"%d",&temp ->head.gramsOfProt);

and the output is(which is correct)

Roasted Turkey Breast
MEAT
3 oz.

and I'm going to have to have a while loop which keeps creating new nodes until it hits the EOF...but thats another story...so for now....
i have another longer question but I can figure it out myself, if someone could tell me if fscanf() can read in strings? because when i tried to use fscanf for the first three items in the lists which are not ints or floats, but are strings it doesnt work i did something like fscanf("%s",temp -> head.name);
and the output is

RoastedTurkeyBreast0

:o

thanks for your help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.