Hi
please someone tell how to find and install packages?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Many packages can be found with google's help. What are you looking for ?

I'm looking for tk
please tell how to install it
thanks again

By tk you dont mean Tkinter do you? Because that is packaged with python.

I heard it by when i import tkinter it says install tk package
it's strange for me too
thanks

Re install Python and make sure during installation you choose the custom method. make sure ALL packages are selected and install!

Don't forget feedback

hey i use the python that is installed in ubuntu by default

I thought you were on windows, then you should look for the tk package of ubuntu. Probably a command like sudo apt-get install tcl tk .

First try "import Tkinter" with a capital "T". If that doesn't work, post the code you used and an exact copy of the error message.

If you have to install, install python-pmw. It will install TCL, Tk, and Tkinter as dependencies if they aren't installed, and you will likely want the PMW extensions if you are going to program GUIs. If it still doesn't work, then re-install python via Synaptic or apt-get on the command line. On some distros, the installer will check for external packages and make python accordingly. That is, if there is no Tkinter installed, it will not configure python with Tkinter, so you have to re-install python so it can be re-configured.

If all of that doesn't work, then use ActiveState's intaller to install Python. http://www.activestate.com/store/download.aspx?prdGUID=b08b04e0-6872-4d9d-a722-7a0c2dea2758 Once it is installed properly you won't have to mess with it again as the updates will take care of themselves.

On some distros, the installer will check for external packages

And Ubuntu's installers are one of them! :)

sudo apt-get install tcl tk

I did it but it answered no module named tcl found

Hey excuse me but I came again

sudo apt-get install tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev autoconf

I tried it too but for both tcl8.4 and tk8.4(without -dev)it answered:

Package tcl8.4/tk8.4 has no installation candidate

I found this testimony at ubuntuforums.org:

Finally I solved the puzzle of installing Tk onto Ubuntu. I tried everything I could think of; download from CPAN, download from Perl/tk
and......

Finally I used apt-get TK. These were the magic words one must use.

Perhaps you should try this. I don't have ubuntu, so I try to help you from very far away :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.