Greetings:
I am chugging thru Boa Help
Getting Started Guide for Boa Constructor , Kevin Gill , November 1, 2000
and am at Section: 2.7 Creating a Dialog Window
doing everything as specified in Help, Save/Run and click on Help/About , no Dialog comes up. [Frame2.py , App2.py , Dialog2.py]

When I open module Dialog2.py , then click on Designer , I get the following errors:

7:45:59 PM: Traceback (most recent call last):
7:45:59 PM: File "Models\wxPythonControllers.pyc", line 78, in OnDesigner
7:45:59 PM: File "Models\wxPythonControllers.pyc", line 141, in showDesigner
7:45:59 PM: File "Views\Designer.pyc", line 113, in __init__
7:45:59 PM: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'params'

See 'Attachments' area? [How come attachments doesn't allow *.py files?]
1) How come Dialog does not show?
2) How to fix for errors above?
Thanks...

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

That is a pretty old book. The BOA IDE and wxPython have changed quite a bit since then.

Without your code, help would be hard to give.

That is a pretty old book. The BOA IDE and wxPython have changed quite a bit since then.

Without your code, help would be hard to give.

Yes, I tried to Attach files, but it didn't take. Seems that .py is not one of the supported file types. But I'll try again here [changing .py to .txt]:

I mysteriously got past the Designer prob.
But now cant' open Dialog2 frame.
So I'l post as new prob.

I think BOA isn't for NewBie. I say this because text editor is best for learning actual coding. I'm talking about using IDE's Wxpython GUI builder. If you use it as Editor and and run directly scripts fine.

I will suggest building GUIs with your hand-on-keyboard programming instead of dag-and-drop building.

You can use any editor (so many there) for practicing, and when you start massive coding, then IDE is for you

Just MHO
Steve

I'm talking about using IDE's Wxpython GUI builder. If you use it as Editor and and run directly scripts fine.

Just MHO
Steve

[IDE's Wxpython GUI builder]
Do you mean IDLE, or does Wxpython, have a separate GUI builder.
Thanks!

For a simple BOA test program using a frame and a dialog see:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post722453-3.html

You can use other IDE's to create wxPython programs, but they won't necessarily have drag and drop builders. The builder just creates your widget base, you have to learn where to add your own code to make it all work. If you edit in the wrong places to add your code, the designer may balk at opening the code for further widget additions.

[IDE's Wxpython GUI builder]
Do you mean IDLE, or does Wxpython, have a separate GUI builder.
Thanks!

BOA have got GUI builder. I wonder if you are using that to make your GUIs. If so I was advising to stop using drage and drop thing and do it fro scratch

Apart from Boa & WxDesigner (Which I have never tested) I don't know any other builder with D&D feature! Just as sneekula said

Turns out:
When I get the Boa Error msg:
"AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'params'"
If I save files, shutdown Boa,
then ReStart Boa, all is well.
Cute huh!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.