Alright folks...I'm new to this visual basic stuff, and to the site. I am working on an assignment for a class...it'll probably look pretty easy to the rest of you, but I just can't figure it out.

What I need to do is take the information from the input box, the 'quiz scores' that are entered and put them in the list box. The way it is set up now, as you'll see is that it takes the last score and enters it all 5 times. It appears that all of my other calculations work. I'm not looking for someone to completely write the code for me, as I really need to and want to learn this...but maybe just a little 'shove' in the right direction?!

Below is all of the code I have so far: I changed the part I need help with to red font so you can find it quicker...Thanks!!!!!

' Project: IT Department Grades
' Purpose: Allows the user to enter 5 scores, they will be displayed in a list box
' and then can be used to calculate the average and a grade letter will
' be displayed.
' Created by: Lisa Bastian on 9/27/08

Option Strict On
Option Explicit On

Public Class GradeForm

Dim strInputQuiz As String
Dim intQuizCounter As Integer = 1
Dim strGrade As String
Dim intQuizPoints As Integer
Dim intPointsAccumulator As Integer
Dim intAverage As Integer
Dim isConverted As Boolean

Private Sub btnExit_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnExit.Click
Me.Close()
End Sub

Private Sub btnClear_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClear.Click
lblTotalPoints.Text = ""
lblAveragePoints.Text = ""
lblLetterGrade.Text = ""
lstGrades.Items.Clear()

End Sub

Private Sub btnAcceptGrades_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAcceptGrades.Click

' repeats input box until all 5 grades have been entered
Do While intQuizCounter < 6
' input box for user to enter the numeric grades
strInputQuiz = InputBox("Please enter quiz grades " & intQuizCounter, "Quiz Grades")

' if points entered are correct numbers count the quiz and add the points
' in the points accumulator if not show message box saying re-enter
isConverted = Integer.TryParse(strInputQuiz, intQuizPoints)
If isConverted Then
intQuizCounter = intQuizCounter + 1
intPointsAccumulator = intPointsAccumulator + intQuizPoints

Else
MessageBox.Show("Please re-enter quiz grade.", "Quiz Grades Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, _
MessageBoxIcon.Information)

End If
Loop
' Converts the Quiz Points entered to string and adds them 
' to the list box
lstGrades.Text = Convert.ToString(intQuizPoints)
lstGrades.Items.Add(intQuizPoints)

End Sub

Private Sub btnCalculate_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnCalculate.Click
' uses the numeric grades entered in the list box
' to give the average grade, which will be displayed as a 
' letter grade

lblTotalPoints.Text = Convert.ToString(intPointsAccumulator)

lblAveragePoints.Text = Convert.ToString(intPointsAccumulator / 5)

intAverage = CInt(Convert.ToString(intPointsAccumulator / 5))
lblAveragePoints.Text = Convert.ToString(intAverage)

Select Case intAverage
Case Is >= 93
strGrade = "A"
Case Is >= 86
strGrade = "B"
Case Is >= 77
strGrade = "C"
Case Is >= 70
strGrade = "D"
Case Else
strGrade = "F"
End Select

' displays the letter grade in the label
lblLetterGrade.Text = strGrade
End Sub
End Class

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What I would suggest would be to change strInputQuiz into an array that holds 5 elements. When you use the InputBox, assign each InputValue to a different element within the array.

I didn't see where strQuizPoints was calculated, but since it appears there will be five of those values, I would recommend using an array to store those values as well.

When it's time to add the values to the listbox, you just need to loop through the strQuizPoints array and use the following line to add them to the listbox:

For counter = 0 to UBound(strQuizPoints())
  lstGrades.Items.Add(strQuizPoints)
Next

Thanks for the help, I will look into that a little closer. We haven't gone through arrays or how to set them up - this is pretty basic type stuff and I'm just starting, so I'll see what I can find on how to set one up. Thanks!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.