I've finally pulled out my old Visual Studio 6.0 and installed C++. I've done some very low level C++ programming years ago, but I've never used this program before. I've loaded the MSDN and searched on how to start a program. However, after about 3 weeks of migrating from one thread to another, I still don't know how to start a simple program. I have an older Deitle and Deitle "How To Program", Second Edition with some sample programs that I'd like to try, but I can't get them to compile and run.

MSDN details how to use Microsoft Wizards, the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) and the Active Template Library (ATL). Wizards, like the MFC AppWizard, the MFC ActiveX ControlWizard, the ISAPI Extension Wizard, and the ATL COM AppWizard, but I don't want to do any of these. I just want to start a new project, enter the code myself, compile and run the thing.

What am I missing?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

1. Open MSVC.
  2. File->New...{Projects}Win32 Console Application, enter a name - Ok
  3. Select "An empty project." - Finish
  4. File->New...{Files}C++ Source File, enter a name - Ok
  5. Type code.
  6. [F5] Go or [Ctrl+F5] Execute

Hey Dave,

Thanks. It's working just fine, and I'm back in the programming business. Can't wait until I start doing pointers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.