Hi there..
I am new member here and having a problem.
I am working with a software solution co. and we want our software to support "Internationalization". means want to provide multilingual support.

We are using vb6.0 as development and all the diff APIs for our working.....
can anyone tell me how I can provide Unicode (UTF - 8) support to my project?
I can not develop it from scratch (no chance). do anyone know any 3rd party tool or API that will help me keep the UTF - 8 (stop vb to convert it into ANSI.. or something like that)...
and give me say arabic language in my object.

Pl help me I am in real trouble and on the deadline...

Thanks in advance.
-Rrajal

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

that will be easy if you use .NET not vb 6.

that will be easy if you use .NET not vb 6.

Hi Debasis.
Thanks for reply, but I as I mentioned, my project is not entirely developed by me and I don't stand a chance to convert the whole project in .Net. its too big to convert for me.

Pl. let me know if any way I can make it enabled with all diff languages (with all the lot of APIs within).

There is another issue I would like to ask is if you know we can have if else in vc for declaring api as A (ANSI) or W (Wide) and its included in header class only, compiler will select it by its own that which API to use.

like.

#ifdef UNICODE
#define OpenSCManager OpenSCManagerW
#else
#define OpenSCManager OpenSCManagerA
#endif // !UNICODE

is there any way in vb to find the same? so I can put switches and let my compiler decide which API to chose at which point?

ps. the above declaration is in header file in vc, so here we need not to worry about.

Thanks... waiting for your reply

Hi if anyone know the answer, pl tell me. Its really very important for me..

Thanks

Hi there..
I am new member here and having a problem.
I am working with a software solution co. and we want our software to support "Internationalization". means want to provide multilingual support.

We are using vb6.0 as development and all the diff APIs for our working.....
can anyone tell me how I can provide Unicode (UTF - 8) support to my project?
I can not develop it from scratch (no chance). do anyone know any 3rd party tool or API that will help me keep the UTF - 8 (stop vb to convert it into ANSI.. or something like that)...
and give me say arabic language in my object.

Pl help me I am in real trouble and on the deadline...

Thanks in advance.
-Rrajal

try using a resource file, you can specify different string sets for different languages... i've not done this before though; but when working with resource files that's one of the primary suggested reasons for using them...

Resouce Files can be added to a VB6 project with the add-in manager, just go through the list until you find it. once there you can add resource files to your project. a resource file can contain pictures, strings, or data... data can be anything from movies to garbage files...

as for unicode... have you looked at StrConv?

StrConv(String, Conversion as vbStrConv, [LocaleID as Long])

hope this helps...

If you want to make it easy to support UniCode in Visual Basic then take a look at the UniToolbox control suite which replaces all the common VB controls with UniCode aware versions:

http://www.iconico.com/UniToolbox

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.