I'm trying to find a good, easy to use GUI for an inventory in my game, all I really want them to be able to do is select items, maybe move them around into different slots, and be able to modify variables based on where things are moved.

I plan on launching this from another part of the program, so it won't be the entire program, just used for a small section of it. Preferably one with a good tutorial/reference list on how to use it would be nice.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>>I'm trying to find a good, easy to use GUI for an inventory in my game, all I really want them to be able to do is select items, maybe move them around into different slots, and be able to modify variables based on where things are moved.

Here's an equivalent request:
How can I be as good as Tiger Woods at playing golf but not have to work at it too hard?

Why are they equivalent. Because neither task is easy or straigthforward. You might find a thirdparty inventory program you can use in your game, but chances are you are going to have to write it yourself.

>>I'm trying to find a good, easy to use GUI for an inventory in my game, all I really want them to be able to do is select items, maybe move them around into different slots, and be able to modify variables based on where things are moved.

Here's an equivalent request:
How can I be as good as Tiger Woods at playing golf but not have to work at it too hard?

Why are they equivalent. Because neither task is easy or straigthforward. You might find a thirdparty inventory program you can use in your game, but chances are you are going to have to write it yourself.

Gee, thanks, you were so helpful!

I know I am going to have to work to do it, I was just saying what a perfect situation would be, I don't expect you to come up with exactly what I specified, I simply said what I plan on using it for, so the best library to match that can be found, I don't expect one that can do all that to begin with, but I was just saying what I plan on doing it so it is easier to find something to match my plans.

I guess I worded my question badly, but there was no need to be rude about your answer.

I don't want to premade inventory, I'm just searching for a library or something I can use to create what I need.

It wasn't rude.... there is a Game Dev forum here too.
Does your game engine have a GUI you can use, letting you progress to the rest of the code?

It wasn't rude.... there is a Game Dev forum here too.
Does your game engine have a GUI you can use, letting you progress to the rest of the code?

I'm not developing a very serious game here, the rest of the game is visualized using pure ASCII, but I thought that maybe I would change things up for the inventory, is it more annoying to do so?

Having an ascii game that uses a GUI inventory just screams confused at me.

Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.