I'm really not understanding what's going on with the array in this. Here's the question.

The following code totals the values in each of the two arrays. Will the code print the correct total for both arrays?

int total = 0;
int count;

for (count = 0; count <= 25; count++)
	total += array1[count];
cout << "The total is " << total << endl;

for (count = 0; count <= 25; count++)
	total += array2[count];
cout << "The total is " << total << endl;

I'm not understanding this at all. Both arrays hold 25 integer elements but they aren't equal to anything, so im just lost here... or maybe it's really simple and I'm thinking too hard about it...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If both array1 and array2 contain 25 elements then you should write your for loops

for (count = 0; count < 25; count++)

as arrays of n elements are indexed from 0 to n-1.

Moreover, the second cout will print the sum of all the elements of the second array plus the sum of all the elements of the first array, as long as you don't reset your total variable between the for loops.

EDIT: What do you mean with "they aren't equal to anything" ? Please clarify this.

Leave out the equal sign in <= !
Else you are counting from 0 to 25 inclusive, which is 26, not 25.

Don't know what I was thinking there. I changed it to just greater than and then inbetween the two for loop I made total = 0 again. Both arrays outputted -20 so that seems to be working properly. So by not initializing total to = 0 again after the first array is finished will cause total to equal whatever it was in the first output which would be -40 which I checked and so the counter in the for loop must be written as < and not <= because the element starts at 0? I'm going to look in my book about the indexing

Don't worry, there are many people on this globe(including me) that have made this mistake. Join the club!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.