Hi Friends

i am using vb.net & i have a textbox on that ,I want only numeric value on that textbox & if i type alfabetical on that textbox so that must give me a message to that type numeric value only

I m not able to doing this plz help me

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Private Sub textBox_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles textBox.KeyPress

If Char.IsNumber(e.KeyChar) Or Asc(e.KeyChar) = 8 Then
            e.Handled = False
        Else
            e.Handled = True
            MsgBox("Numeric Values Only", MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly + MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Input Error")
        End If

End Sub

basicly the IsNumber is numbers 0-9, it also allows the delete button, and the ASCII key 8 is the back space key

This following code just allowed you to entered numbers only (No alphabetics or any special characters) :

Private Sub TextBox1_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.KeyPress
    If (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Asc(e.KeyChar) < 48) _
              Or (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Asc(e.KeyChar) > 57) Then
            e.Handled = True
    End If
    If (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Asc(e.KeyChar) = 8) Then
            e.Handled = False
    End If
End Sub

well that is what you asked for

use google

If Char.IsNumber(e.KeyChar)Then

Else
            MsgBox("Numeric Values Only", MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly + MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Input Error")
        End If

try that, the e.Handled = False/True determins wether the charater is to be imputted - so just simply remove it

HI

You can control that text box by this way

Private Sub tbxNumeric_KeyPress(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles tbxNumeric.KeyPress
StringManipulation.SetTextboxAllowedCharacters("0123456789.", e)

End Sub

Sorry that function is like this

Shared Sub SetTextboxAllowedCharacters(ByVal CharactersAllowed As String, ByRef e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs, Optional ByVal enter As Boolean = True, Optional ByVal BackSpace As Boolean = True)

Dim err As Integer = 0
        If InStr(CharactersAllowed, e.KeyChar.ToString.ToUpper) = 0 Then
            err = 1
            If enter And Asc(e.KeyChar) = Keys.Enter Then err = 0
            If BackSpace And Asc(e.KeyChar) = Keys.Back Then err = 0
            If Asc(e.KeyChar) = 3 Then err = 0
            If Asc(e.KeyChar) = 22 Then err = 0
        End If
        If err = 1 Then
            e.Handled = True
        End If
    End Sub

thanks

you can also use the required field validators in the toolbox

regardless this thread should be marked as solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.