I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I figure since it's a C++ IDE it's probably qualified...

How do I compile my program without all the extra debugging stuff in Dev-C++?

I looked through it but I can't find any way to do this... I know in MSVC++ you can do this by using "build Release version" or something like that, but I can't stand msvc++ so I'm now using Dev-C++. I know there has to be a way though...

I tired everything in the Execute menu... no luck on that.

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Presumably it's something under the Project Options: Compiler tab. Perhaps try setting Linker: Strip Executable to yes.

Nope... Nice guess though. But it still came out the same size.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
        cout<<"Hello World!"<<endl;
        system("pause");
}

This comes out as a 464 KB EXE.

Like I said, I can manage to get it down to 56 KB using msvc's "Release Build" option. Without it, the EXE comes out to about 232 KB.

I've tried serveral options in Project Options > Compiler and > Linker... still comes out to 464kb.

If I set "strip executable" it goes from 464k to 260k. The difference between that and what you get with msvc is probably caused by dev-c++ linking statically while msvc is linking dynamically (so the library routines are not in the exe). There may be a way to make dev-c++ (actually g++) link dynamically too, although I can't make it do so (e.g., adding -shared-libgcc to the linker command line didn't work for me).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.