Hello, this is my first post here and I noticed that other people have been struggling with this assignment too. It is the mortgage calculator program for UOP PRG420. So I am sure you all are probably about sick of this by now, but I need help. The book is helpful but does not show how to get the calculations to display. Actually, after I correct this code I will need to go back and change it again because the assignment wants it in the command window and I have it written so far using javax.swing.JOptionPane. The reason is because that is how the text shows me. I can follow along with the text with ease but when it comes to doing things differently than the text I struggle a bit. So here is my code so far.....

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
import java.text.DecimalFormat;
import java.io.*;

public class NewMortgage
{
	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
		//class variables
		double interest, payment, amount;
		int term;

amount=getLoan();
		interest=getRate();
		term=getTerm();
		output(amount, interest, term, payment);
		payment=(amount*((interest/12)/(1-Math.pow((1+(interest/12)),-(term*12)))));

}

//getLoan method to ge the amount of the loan
	public static double getLoan()
	{
		double amount=0.0;
		boolean done = false;

while (!done)
		{

String answer = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null,
		"Enter the amount of the loan: $");

if (answer == null) finish();

try
		{

amount = Double.parseDouble(answer);
		if(amount <=0) throw new NumberFormatException();
		else done = true;
	}
	catch(NumberFormatException e)
	{
		JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Your amount was not entered in the correct format.",
		"Error",JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
	}
	}
		return amount;
	}

public static double getRate()
		{
			double interest=0.0;
			boolean done = false;

while (!done)
			{

"Enter the interest rate of the loan: ");

try
			{

interest = Double.parseDouble(answer);
			if(interest <=0) throw new NumberFormatException();
			else done = true;
		}
		{
			JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Your interest amount was not entered in the correct format.",
		}
		}
			return interest;
	}

public static int getTerm()
		{
			int term=0;
			boolean done = false;

while (!done)
			{

"Enter the term of the loan in years:");

try
			{

term = Integer.parseInt(answer);
			if(term <=0) throw new NumberFormatException();
			else done = true;
		}
		{
			JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Please tell me the correct length of the loan. IE enter 30 for a 30 year mortgage",
		}
		}
			return term;
	}

public static void output(double amount, double interest, double payment, int term)
		{

payment=(amount*((interest/12)/(1-Math.pow((1+(interest/12)),-(term*12)))));

DecimalFormat twoDigits = new DecimalFormat ("$#,000.00");
			JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The Monthly Payment for a" + twoDigits.format(amount) + "loan with an interest rate of" + twoDigits.format(interest) + "for"+ twoDigits.format(term) + "is" + payment, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

}

//finish method to end program
	public static void finish()
	{
		System.exit(0);

}
}

Everything was working fine with the code until I tried to enter in the output method and get a calculation displayed. So I have tried for about 4 hours now and still get error after error. The first error is:

output(double,double,double,int) in NewMortgage cannot be applied to (double,double,int,double)

I tried to change up the variables inside the output() declaration but that just made more errors. The second is:

cannot find symbol
symbol : method showMessageDialog(<nulltype>,java.lang.String,int)
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The Monthly Payment for a" + twoDigits.format(amount) + "loan with an interest rate of" + twoDigits.format(interest) + "for"+ twoDigits.format(term) + "is" + payment, JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

I can't understand this error either because the showMessageDialog worked just fine in all the other methods.

Any help would be appreiciated here. And I will probably be back because there is more to the assignment that I haven't gotten to yet. I can't question what I haven't tried though so that will wait, I just want this program to work, I have spent way too much time on this. Please.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(...); takes two strings, you are only using one really long string after +payment, add "",

That only made it worse. Yu were saying to add " " after the +payment right? When I did that it took it to 5 errors.

First error is that you have defined
output(double amount, double interest, double payment, int term)
but you call it with
ie params in wrong order.
Second error is because you have a message and a type but no title - that combination doesn't exist in the API. Check the API.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.