Hi all,
My name is Erik. I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on a strange ftp problem I am having. Most ftp connections (through ftplib) if I put the wrong username and password in they raise an error my try except catches it and i can run a "Wrong Login" message. However, my new server's ftp (media temple) when I give the wrong username and password ftplib just hangs. This is problematic because it hangs my code everytime. Has anyone had similar problems with ftp? I was thinking of making some sort of timeout function but was unsuccesful. Thanks in advance.
Best,
Erik

Does it really just hang, or perhaps return the wrong error code?

Usually when I run into this kind of problem I telnet to port 21 and type in the USER and PASS commands manually. Try this; you may find the server giving an unexpected message. That might require you to hack up ftplib to get things working, but at least you'd know the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.