This isn't a programming how-to thread, but I've written a large graphics manipulation program in Java and I am developing a help section that explains how to use the program, a step by step tutorial for how to use all the features. I figure a good way for me to do this would be to go through the steps of creating the figures, manipulating them, moving them around, etc. and taking screenshots of the menus to pull down, buttons to press, checkboxes to check and uncheck, where to click, etc., so I'm looking for some software to help me do that. Has anyone done this before for software that they have released and can anyone suggest some good software for helping me do this? Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

About 50% of my job is in documentation and technical support. There are many help authoring tools out there and in general you get what you pay for. http://hat-matrix.com/ might be able to help you find one that suits your needs.

Personally I would recommend Adobe's RoboHelp (this is the tool that I use). It does all of the things you have listed and a whole lot more, but is kinda pricey. One of the best things about Adobe is their user community forums which I use frequently to help me with the use of RoboHelp. This link will give you an overview of RoboHelp and its features but it is written by Adobe and is more of a marketing brochure than a critique.

Anyways, hope this gives you a starting point.

Regards,
d

About 50% of my job is in documentation and technical support. There are many help authoring tools out there and in general you get what you pay for. http://hat-matrix.com/ might be able to help you find one that suits your needs.

Personally I would recommend Adobe's RoboHelp (this is the tool that I use). It does all of the things you have listed and a whole lot more, but is kinda pricey. One of the best things about Adobe is their user community forums which I use frequently to help me with the use of RoboHelp. This link will give you an overview of RoboHelp and its features but it is written by Adobe and is more of a marketing brochure than a critique.

Anyways, hope this gives you a starting point.

Regards,
d

Thanks. I downloaded the free trial. It looks like it can do an awful lot, but it's all brand new to me, so I imagine it'll be a learning curve. For the project I was referring to here, I ended up using a hodge-podge of random programs off of the internet, but it would be cool to get an all-in-one resource, so the learning time might be worth it since I have some other projects coming up. Thanks again.

I use Screen VidShot for such purposes. there is a trial version at their page.
hope, it'll be helpful for you;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.