Hi,

To speed up development of a certain procedure inside our company, I was wondering if it would be possible to 'undress' a templated word file (so we could use our stationery), mark it's dynamic regions, and fill these in using a C# program coupled to some sort of DB (using a GUI), and then export it to a 'finished' word file.

All in all, it didn't look like rocket science to me.

I know .docx is nothing more then a zip file containing some XML files.

The problem here is that I didn't find any useful methods to be able to get a specific node out of a Word file, and that there doesn't seem to be a general rule of thumb to predict exactly how Word will break up words and sentences.

'Hello World' might be saved as 'Hel' 'lo' 'Wo' 'rld', each in a different text node. How can one ever be able to insert/edit/delete other content (using a C# program for example)?

Also, is there a way at all to assign an ID to a node, so I could walk the Domain Object Model tree and just find the node I'm looking for, and then for example alter it's contents?

I was used to JavaScript and HTML, and was hoping to see some familiar faces, but I stumbled upon something completely different, or I'm missing out on something blatantly obvious.

I couldn't locate the edit button, so I'm replying to my own post.

I have found some video tutorials: here and also some software to visualize the 'Content Controls' and 'Custom XML' here, which seem to be the buzzwords when looking for this kind of content.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.