Hi,

I did a project a while back and as the grading TA insist on it compiling on Solaris. I have a 0 for a perfectly working project. Can someone please help me with getting a program to compile on both the free free bsd and of course annoying Solaris.

This was a project for a networking class. The project wanted us to establish a TCP and a UDP connection (using Berkeley Socket) and send and receive strings.

I'm not going to post my code here. I believe in open source programming but when it comes to class work its not always safe to post on going project. I don't want anyone to copy my code and then get caught for plagiarism.

I'll post the code on my website when I'm done with the class.

If you want to see my program to help me out let me know your email address and I'll send to code to you.

Thank you,

drjay

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I did a project a while back and as the grading TA insist on it compiling on Solaris. I have a 0 for a perfectly working project.

its not working if it won't compile

This was a project for a networking class. The project wanted us to establish a TCP and a UDP connection (using Berkeley Socket) and send and receive strings.

unix sockets ... #include <sys/socket.h>
windows .... #include <winsock.h>

I'm not going to post my code here.

okay, then don't expect much help here

I believe in open source programming

then why so much hate for Solaris??? :(

If you want to see my program to help me out let me know your email address and I'll send to code to you.

nah, i get enough email already.

Hey there, he has good reason for hating Solaris.

Make sure you are compiling with the GCC and not the Sun Studio CC. Also make sure you have the GNU make (gmake) installed and use it by default instead of the Sun's make.
Finally, check that the shared libraries are actually compatible.

If you stick with the GCC you shouldn't have too much trouble making things work properly. If your professor refuses to use the GCC, your options are to take it up with the university's computer sciences department or to identify and strip everything GCC-specific from your code. That might just take an afternoon or two sitting in one of the school's computer labs.

Good luck!

ah, interesting. i havent used Solaris since the early 2000's. i guess i forgot a lot about it.

Maybe you should post another source, which also isn't compiling under Solaris, but which you aren't using in your project ...

i got it to work. i used g++ compiler. i did something to my makefile. i'll post the line of code later when i access to the file.

thanks for all that replied,

i didnt want to post the code because i'm still doing the class and i didnt want any of the classmates to find my code here and submit it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.