Hi everybody,

I need some help with my project.

I'm trying to retrieve some data from a combo box on which i used the "data bound item task" so I can select data from a table of my database.

the problem I'm having is that when i try to save into another table the selected item from the combo box.....either I get an error "failed to convert parameter value from a DataRowView to a string" or it just save the field of the table in blank

here is the code

[code=vb]
        Dim queryAddCurso As String
        queryAddCurso = " INSERT INTO Curso_Semestre (SECCION, CODIGO, NOMBRE_CURSO, CREDITO) VALUES (@SECCION,@CODIGO,@NOMBRE_CURSO,@CREDITO)"

Dim cmd As New SqlCommand(queryAddCurso, getConnection())

Try

cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@SECCION", SqlDbType.NVarChar, 10))
            cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@CODIGO", SqlDbType.NVarChar, 10))
            cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@NOMBRE_CURSO", SqlDbType.NVarChar, 80))
            cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@CREDITO", SqlDbType.NChar, 1))

cmd.Prepare()
            cmd.Parameters("@SECCION").Value = SECCIONTextBox.Text

cmd.Parameters("@CODIGO").Value = CODIGOComboBox.SelectedText.ToString   ' --->this way it save the field in blank
           cmd.Parameters("@NOMBRE_CURSO").Value = NOMBRE_CURSOComboBox.SelectedItem.ToString  '---> this way it save into the field  "System.Data.DataRowView"  & if I don't use                                                                                                                                                             the .ToString i get the error above.

cmd.Parameters("@CREDITO").Value = CREDITOComboBox.SelectedItem

cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
            cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
            cmd.Parameters.Clear()

MsgBox("Data Write Successfully", MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly, "Saved Info")

Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.Information, "InsertDataError_cursoXsemestre")
        End Try

End Sub

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

try CREDITOComboBox.SelectedItem.ToString

I did that...but the problem is in here

[code]
cmd.Parameters("@CODIGO").Value = CODIGOComboBox.SelectedText.ToString ' --->this way it save the field in blank
cmd.Parameters("@NOMBRE_CURSO").Value = NOMBRE_CURSOComboBox.SelectedItem.ToString '---> this way it save into the field "System.Data.DataRowView" & if I don't use the .ToString i get the error above.
[/code

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

do you have cmd.Execute() ?

Yes i have the cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()......
I solved the problem a couple of hours ago............thanks everybody anyway ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.