I have decieded to learn c++ just wondering what compilers you would all suggest? thanks

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

>The best
That's nice. Prove it. And anytime you say that something is the best or the worst, be ready to prove it.

Narue,
I have some respect for you, don't make me lose it. Goggle out the benchmark scores for all C++ compilers. It's been proven, I don't need to prove it again. Oh well,
http://www.aceshardware.com/read_news.jsp?id=75000387
You can prove it yourself anyway, remember the 'hello world' program, why don't you try it on ICL then GCC, if you use the right analysis tools you will find that Intel's compiler produces faster code. Oh yeah, look for this article
"Intel's C++ Compilers for Linux and Windows smoke GNU C and MS Visual C++ in number crunching benchmarks"
Here:
http://www.open-mag.com/754088105111.htm
another one, kinda old review:
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p11

Good luck.

To someone just starting out, "free" may be best. Also a nice IDE, help and debugging may be very important.

Just like with the best car, "speed" isn't all there is! Dev-C++ and the GNU stuff may not be a racehorse, but it is a good workhorse and it is free.

So go to
http://www.bloodshed.net/
and test out the Dev-C++ package. Learn to write good code, maybe even the best code! If you find out that you really like to work with C++, you can always invest the big bucks and get Visual Studio and improve it with Intel's wonderful add-on compiler.

>I have some respect for you, don't make me lose it.
I don't care what you think about me, so I'll call it like I see it.

>It's been proven, I don't need to prove it again.
My problem isn't with your choice of favorite compiler. My problem is that you didn't back up your claims concerning the vague measure of "best". I know the facts, but not everyone does. You also can't expect everyone to google all night to determine whether you're full of hot air or not. Most people won't bother. So if you make a blanket statement, prove it then and there.

>Goggle out the benchmark scores for all C++ compilers.
Benchmarks are virtually useless, but if you believe them then more power to you.

The best
http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/cwin/

Good luck.

Well I don't think this kind of rhetoric is appropriate for this or any other forum and I beleive when someone charactizes something as the best it's with the utmost sincerity and should be taken in that context. I have never used Intels compiler, but have taken it upon myself to investigate furthur, based entriely on Intel's opinion.

So Narue, I think you should mabe reconsider your position as self proclaimed officer of etiquette, and as I've noticed with a lot of your posts not be so condesending and critical of what others write.

>it's with the utmost sincerity and should be taken in that context
In my experience, people are gullible and incapable of comprehending subtlety. Thus, the majority of readers will take such statements at face value, much like the "never use goto" deal.

So Narue, I think you should mabe reconsider your position as self proclaimed officer of etiquette, and as I've noticed with a lot of your posts not be so condesending and critical of what others write.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, be aware that it's highly unlikely that I'll listen to you. You'll notice that the general quality of threads on this forum has improved drastically since I started visiting regularly. This could be a coincidence, but unless you can prove it (notice a trend?) I'll have to assume it's my policing of the forum.

You'll notice that the general quality of threads on this forum has improved drastically since I started visiting regularly.

OMG, man you're so full of it.

OMG, man you're so full of it.

This post adds nothing to the thread. If all you can do is throw insults then do it through PM.

I have decieded to learn c++ just wondering what compilers you would all suggest? thanks

This was the question! Come on you experts, stop the bad spelling and insults! Let's earn some stars (the yellow things under your name), that really determines your level of expertise!

The answer is: Dev-C++ by three lengths and a hoof!

The answer is: Dev-C++ by three lengths and a hoof!

Probably just as important if not more so is the text you use to learn the language. I've found

The Waite Group's C++ Primer Plus ISBN 1-57169-162-6

to be fairly comprehensive. Combined with the 1000's of tutorials on forums such as this and news groups, you should be well armed with what you need to learn the language.

Be careful with books though. 2nd 3rd and 4th editions usually come out fairly quick and you will pay the price of the book all over again. Usually there is never enough change in content to make the additional purchases worthwhile.

Member Avatar for Siersan

When first learning, it's most important to have a compiler you're comfortable with. Professionals can debate the merits of this compiler vs that compiler, but in the end if it's awkward for you to use then it has no merit.

I recommend trying several compilers that are available for your system. I noticed that everyone assumed you were using Windows, so I will as well. Several good compilers (talking about ease of use) are:

Dev-C++ (good editor, coherent error messages, but the debugger could use work)
Visual C++ (good editor, decent error messages, wonderful debugger)
Borland C++ 5.5 (no editor, good error messages, no debugger)
Borland Builder (good editor, good error messages, okay debugger)

Dev-C++ is free for download, Borland C++ 5.5 is free for download. Visual C++ Express 2005 Beta is free for download, and Borland Builder costs about $100. Visual C++ can be bought for about $100 as well.

I'm naturally in favor of Visual C++ because I use it for my job, and I'm most familiar with it. If you like spending money then Intel (the company) sells a good C++ compiler for $400, but I don't think it comes as part of an integrated development environment. Intel (the Daniweb member) can probably answer that question better than me. You can also buy the Comeau compiler for $50. It's proported to be the most standard compliant compiler available, but it doesn't come with an IDE. You would have to plug the compiler into an existing IDE or use it straight from the command line.

How do I unsubscribe from this site?

Member Avatar for Siersan

You can probably PM cscgal and get her to remove your account.

Isn't asking "What's the best compiler" like asking "What's the best text editor/OS/Language/Deity/etc"?

Let me remind everyone that we're here to help. If you have beef with someone, take it up with them in PMs. Lose all the respect for someone that you'd like to lose, but we're here to help users find their own way.

Intel, you were presented with a request to back up your statements. You did so. Leave it at that. It's obvious you at know what you're talking about, so you don't have to validate yourself, just clarify when needed.

Narue, I like you. It is very possible that the overall post quality of the C/C++ forum has improved as a result of your etiquette tips. If that's the case, thanks aplenty are in order. It could be a coincidence, though, as you stated. However, there's no need to respond to jabs-- stick to the facts, and things run way more smoothly. I wouldn't call it "troll feeding", but there's no need to stamp out or stoke any embers, puffs of smoke, or outright flames.

So, let's be happy, gang. Weigh in with your opinions. If those opinions conflict with others, discuss, don't disparage. If you feel someone else's comments are out of line, take it up with the member in PM, or discuss it with a forum mod or cscgal (Dani).

Dev C++ is a good free compiler

Visual Studio C++ although very old school is a big help too! that is if you are looking to buy something

Alsoagirl

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.