Hi, I'm new here. I am an IT student in my third week of my first programming class learning the fundamentals such as algorithms, pseudocode, etc.

I do not want to post my pseudocode in the forum because other students taking the same course may be able to cheat.

The information in this forum is very helpful to me.

I have written a pseudocode for a payroll accounting program for an assignment. The program is supposed to calculate the amount of tax due on a specific salary.

I did this by following an example that my instructor posted. This is my first attempt at pseudocode and I am really unsure of myself.

If you will give me permission, I will send my pseudocode to you in a private message. This will prevent cheating from other students.

This is the table that my pseudocode is based on:
Salary Range Base Tax % of Excess
0.00-1,499.99 0.00 15 %
1,500.00-2,999.99 $225.00 16 %
3,000.00-4,999.99 $465.00 18 %
5,000.00-7,999.99 $825.00 20 %
8,000.00-14,999.99 $1425.00 25 %

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

If you will give me permission, I will send my pseudocode to you in a private message. This will prevent cheating from other students.

We're not your personal tutor. We help everyone here equally, as long as they appear to be honestly trying and not just bums looking for handouts and cheats.

Trust me, your code is nothing special. the fact that you're looking for help on basic concepts means anyone who is going to go to Daniweb to "steal your ideas", is in worse shape than you are.

so post your relevant code and ask specific questions that can be answered. Or don't. It makes no difference to us.

>If you will give me permission, I will send my pseudocode to you in a private message.
It doesn't work that way. This isn't a private mailing list, it's a public forum.

>This will prevent cheating from other students.
No, it won't. All the cheaters have to do is pretend to be willing to help you and you'll send them the code. :icon_rolleyes: If you're so worried about cheating peers, try asking for help on Daniweb's IRC chat channel.

I don't think that there is a right or wrong in psudo code, unless ofcourse your doing something really stupid in it.

Thanks anyway...

Sorry to bother you.

I am a student, the concept of programming is extremely new to me. I did my own work...All I wanted was for someone to tell me if I was on the right track.

I didn't mean to imply that anything that I have done or ever will do is anything "special".

It is amazing how people forget what is was like when they were learning.

dont be offended. just post your code and your question.

It's not that we've forgotten what it's like to be a newbie. Quite the contrary. I suspect all of us could relate any number of stories about advancing on the learning curve. It's just that this site has made the committment to keep things out in the open. One of the benefits is that if I misspeak or post a mistake I can (almost)gaurantee that somebody will post a correction. That way you don't have to take my word as a "private tutor" that I know what I am doing. So, for better or worse, if you want to use this service, or try the one Narue mentioned, feel free. If you aren't comfortable doing so, that's okay, too.

It is amazing how people forget what is was like when they were learning.

I am still learning.

>I am a student, the concept of programming is extremely new to me.
We got that impression, but even if we didn't there's no reason to point it out. Usually the "I'm a newbie" defense is used as a way to preserve one's frail ego when the code gets seriously reviewed and is found to be lacking:

Noob: "Here's my code. Awesome, right? Amiright?"
Us: "Actually, it's pretty bad: <thorough review>"
Noob: "Oh, well I'm new to programming."

>I did my own work...All I wanted was for someone to tell me if I was on the right track.
Nobody suggested that you didn't. But it's quite impossible to tell you if you're on the right track when you refuse to post your code. My psychic powers are pretty good, but not that good.

>I didn't mean to imply that anything that I have done or ever will do is anything "special".
Sure you did. Your code is so special and wonderful that you can't show anyone because it'll be stolen by cheaters the instant you make it publicly viewable. :icon_rolleyes:

>It is amazing how people forget what is was like when they were learning.
It's amazing that this is always the fallback whine of any newbie who feels offended, even if it's completely inappropriate. And for the record, we're all still learning. The learning doesn't stop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.