I hav two points on the ground at different distances from me . I have the angle swept by my eyes in going from one point to the other. But a camera performs this action by first panning(moving horizontally ) and then tilting(vertical depression or elevation.) Is there a formula that allows me to calculate these pan and tilt values from the angle swept? sorry... searched the web did not find what I was looking for.

I hav two points on the ground at different distances from me . I have the angle swept by my eyes in going from one point to the other. But a camera performs this action by first panning(moving horizontally ) and then tilting(vertical depression or elevation.) Is there a formula that allows me to calculate these pan and tilt values from the angle swept? sorry... searched the web did not find what I was looking for.

There are all sorts of formulas. First you need to decide exactly what you are doing and what the variables are. Are both points lying on a flat surface with the camera on the same flat surface, but elevated off of the surface by a few feet? That's one scenario and is the scenario I assume you are referring to. Are you located at the same spot as the camera, and if not, are the two points at an equal distance from the camera? You need to carefully and explicitly decide what assumptions you are making and what exactly you are calculating and make a diagram. From there, it's fairly simple geometry/trigonometry. You may have to combine more than one simple formula for your problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.