I have recently upgraded from Allegro 4.2 to Allegro 5 and am trying to upgrade some of my programs. I came to a program that tells the user a ton of info about the computer it's running on such as the operating system. In Al 4.2 I could just use an "os_type" variable, but no such variable exists in Al 5. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this task, or if this information is even still available?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>have recently upgraded from Allegro 4.2 to Allegro 5
Actually you aren't using Allegro 5 yet, you're using a Work-In-Progress (WIP) release for the future Allegro 5.0 branch :)
So I don't know whether this Allegro is already finished yet, I personally think it isn't.

>In Al 4.2 I could just use an "os_type" variable, but no such variable exists in Al 5.
And how do you know that?
What errors is your compiler giving? Sure that you linked the library correctly with your application?

Note: It might be a better idea to post your future allegro questions on an allegro forum, as there are probably more people with Allegro knowledge.

Actually you aren't using Allegro 5 yet,

It is version 4.9.9. Everywhere I have seen it refers to it as 5.

And how do you know that?
What errors is your compiler giving? Sure that you linked the library correctly with your application?

I know that because my compiler (MinGW) told me that no such variable exists, or at least not by that name.
I have linked all the libraries that it comes with to the project to eliminate the possibility of missing it in one.

Oh, and I have looked into the allegro forum, but it never emailed me my password, so I can't log in even though I have an account.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.