Hello All,

I am not knowledgeable in VB nor in MS Access, so kindly excuse my ignorance.

I received an MS Access database which is unable to open on my computer (for whatever reason), but is able to open on 5 different computers. At first I thought it was an MS Office version difference issue, but 2 of the 5 computers has the same MS Office version as my computer.

I therefore looked at the files the database is trying to locate before opening, and saw that it was looking for a .DLL file by the name of DAO350.DLL, after much searching, I came up empty-handed. There were no such file on my computer, so I downloaded it from the internet, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Then the MS Visual Basic Compile tool came up, and displayed the following error:
Compile Error:
Can't find project or library

So I click the 'OK' button, and this function is highlighted in yellow:
Public Function resetCharSet()

Since I do not know what to do, I closed the MS Visual Basic Compile tool, and a message box came up:
This command will stop the debugger

So I click the 'OK' button, and MS Access displays an 'Action Failed' message box with the following information:
Macro Name:
AutoExec

Condition:
True

Macro Name:
RunCode

Arguments:
resetCharSet()

Error Number:

And the only button on this message is 'Stop all Macros'. So I click this button and I am looking at the database now, but nothing works...I would think it wouldn't since I did click the 'Stop all macros' button...

When I googled the error number 2950, there were some instructions to set this database's path into the Trusted Locations, but that didn't make any difference.

I then used MS Access Help and searched for 'Can't find project or library' and got a list of steps to follow, but unfortunately, I am unable to do step 1.

To resolve the references

1. Display the References dialog box.
  2. Select the missing reference.
  3. Start the Object Browser.
  4. Use the Browse dialog box to find the missing reference.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Repeat the preceding steps until all missing references are resolved.

When I clicked Tools in the menu bar, Reference is grayed out.

What should I do now?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I did try to run MDAC 2.8 but got the following error...I am running Windows XP...

I believe you need to download MDAC 2.5

There is a reason I said 2.5. 2.5 is the last MDAC with DAO contained within and your error states DAO...

oh darn...my bad...lemme do that and let you know...

So I did try to install MDAC 2.5 and I am getting this message...

Okay,...

Now you may (possibly... don't freak out yet) either have bad registry entries or corrupt dll's and you are getting this message from Access right? Not Visual Basic 6.0! Does any other database open on your computer with Access? Are you running a 64 bit version of windows? If you are able to open a database or create a new one are you able to get to references with that one.

And finally...

It highlights that line. Is that line all by itself, or is is part of a procedure...

'code here
End Function

Good Luck

Okay,...
Now you may (possibly... don't freak out yet) either have bad registry entries or corrupt dll's

:-O :S :X :sad: :sweat:

and you are getting this message from Access right? Not Visual Basic 6.0!

Yes, it occurs when I open a particular database in MS Access...

Does any other database open on your computer with Access?

I just tried another which I last worked with in February of this year (without a problem), and it's also giving me an error when I clicked on 1 of the items in the switchboard menu..."Your database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file 'Dao360.dll' version 5.0. *To ensure that your database or project works properly, you must fix this reference., so I click the ok button...then it goes to the database as if nothing was wrong in the first place".

Are you running a 64 bit version of windows?

:-/ ...No

If you are able to open a database or create a new one are you able to get to references with that one.

I am able to get into the reference box when I opened a mdb template...I am selecting all the references...but when I clicked ok, I got an error message box with the message 'Error loading DLL' with an OK button...:-/

And finally...

It highlights that line. Is that line all by itself, or is is part of a procedure...

'code here
End Function

Good Luck

It is part of a procedure...

'code here
End Function

Okay, it sounds like you will have to use standard proceedure to unregister dll and reregister the dll but before you do, I remember that you downloaded this dll because you did not find it on your system but when you went to install MDAC 2.5 you got the message that 2.5 had previously been installed...

So this means that 3.5 is prior (I'm betting) than MDAC 2.5 so with a quick search of MS I come up with this...

http://support.microsoft.com

searched on DAO350.DLL missing

and came up with this...

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qid=1279440&query=dao350.dll+missing&catalog=LCID%3D1033&mode=r

Looks like you are going to have to find the correct version and register it correctly.

Good Luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.