I feel like I'm losing my mind...

I uninstalled wxPython this morning and was going to reinstall with the latest version as I'm having peculiar problems with UliPad that I just downloaded yesterday.

Well after uninstalling the wx package and docs & demos I went to the wxPython page and followed the links to downloads -> Binaries. All of the links on that page take me to a source forge page that only lists installs of wxPython 2.7 and earlier... I tried searching for wxPython but could only find this "older versions" page.

Does anybody know where the latest binaries are hiding? Apparently all the links on the wxPython download page are broken... I know I could just get the latest SVN version and build it myself but this is nagging me.

Could somebody please try and take a look and tell me I'm not crazy... Or just as similarly tell me I AM crazy and give me the link to get my wxPython back up and running!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I'm sorry for that!
Here is a mirror I have tested and it works. Hope you will try it soon before all goes wrong

http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2.8.10.1-py25.exe

Nope, sorry same thing. You're saying that link allows you to download 2.8 and it works? Then maybe I AM crazy, because it still takes me to the "older versions" (2.7 and earlier) page.

There must be something wrong at sourceforge, right now every download request for wxpython2.8 flips into the wxPython2.7.1.2 page

Yes, this is exactly what I'm experiencing. So maybe I'm NOT crazy?!

Nope, sorry same thing. You're saying that link allows you to download 2.8 and it works?

I have not tested whether Installation works or not. But this is a link I retrieved in my FreeDownload manager, I downloaded long ago. I tested it in FDM and it started downloading. I expected it to work since it is direct Link to download a file
Sorry :(

Nope, sorry same thing. You're saying that link allows you to download 2.8 and it works? Then maybe I AM crazy, because it still takes me to the "older versions" (2.7 and earlier) page.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm experiencing. So maybe I'm NOT crazy?!

You are not crazy, or we are both are crazy, because I have the same problem right now. I would also say that there is something wrong at sourceforge. Even if you get the direct link to work, it only downloads 250k of the 10M file. Give it a day or so to have them fix their problem.

Is sending a file Illegal?
If not, then I can send It to you
I have downloaded full via a link I provided above.
I cannot test whether installation works or not as I use USB stick version and don't have Python (at work now). So If it is legal send me Email and I will send it to you :)

As far as I understand, the Windows installer ulipad.3.9.exe sends along its own (subset) version of wxPython.

As far as I understand, the Windows installer ulipad.3.9.exe sends along its own (subset) version of wxPython.

Right on, thanks for the suggestion.

The ulipad.3.9.exe windows installer automatically installed wx 2.8.7.1 (msw-unicode).

Acceptable solution for now, but I'd still like to update to the latest version of wx since Ulipad is still giving me issues. Although I'm 99.9% sure the issue is with Ulipad and not wx, I'd still like to try a sanity check.

Okay, somebody just posted this to the Google groups mailing list:

Hi.

When I go to http://wxpython.org/download.php , the page says "The links
below are for the binaries and source for wxPython *2.8.10.1"

*Good, I was trying to upgrade from 2.8.9.2

But when I scan through the page (as I did in April), for Microsoft
Windows, wxPython runtime, Python 2.6, win32-unicode, and click on that
link, I get to page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxpython/files/

and that page lists only versions up to 2.7.1

If I instead right-click the link and "Copy URL" I get
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-2...
in the clipboard, and I can paste that into my address bar to download it.

So I've got 2.8.10.1 (sha1: 6602fb05272b7847576128313aacc447ffc107f6),
and am happy. But if there's something wrong with that page, I figured
somebody needed to know.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.11 on Windows XP Sp3.

DaveA

I tried it and was able to directly download the 2.8.10.1 installer by right clicking the link and "copy link location" then paste and open... So it would seem that the wxPython download page is doing some type of .php name resolution that is causing all this mess... Interesting!

Even more perplexing that searching on Sourceforge didn't show any current wxPython versions. So perhaps the problem is with Sourceforge after all. I don't know, I'm no doctor...

Thanks for the info jlm699!

Okay, somebody just posted this to the Google groups mailing list:

I tried it and was able to directly download the 2.8.10.1 installer by right clicking the link and "copy link location" then paste and open... So it would seem that the wxPython download page is doing some type of .php name resolution that is causing all this mess... Interesting!

Even more perplexing that searching on Sourceforge didn't show any current wxPython versions. So perhaps the problem is with Sourceforge after all. I don't know, I'm no doctor...

Does not work properly, it only downloads the first 150k to 300k of the 10M it should download!

Looks like something is happening at sourceforge, now I am getting an Error 500!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.