I have two recommendations for those already familiar with command line C++:

• Here's a trick: put your cursor on a blank place in your code and hit Ctrl-Space. That will call up IntelliSense for all commands that work for the type of program you selected when you ran the wizard.
  • Ivor Horton's Visual C++ Version 8 is OK. He interspersus the CLI stuff with beginner command-line C++ stuff. In scanning for the new stuff, I ocassionally spot something for review I was weak on. Not a waste of time at all.

On that IntelliSense trick; when you browse through that huge list, you can hover over a command to read an excellent synopsis of the function in the yellow IntelliSense window. You can also hit enter to place that in your code and F1 on it to get more information.

Can anyone recommend another book or website that lists all the C++/CLI functions and classes? Perhaps one that just is just a list with maybe one short example each?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can anyone recommend another book or website that lists all the C++/CLI functions and classes? Perhaps one that just is just a list with maybe one short example each?

You just described MSDN.

Thanks Tom for your reply.
I find MSDN daunting. It's like a firehose even with the help of a search engine.
Like the dictionary there is no way to distinguis the things that are more normal from the most obscure. The explanations are often too terse to understand.
Do you have some tricks for narrowing down a search on MSDN?

Do you have some tricks for narrowing down a search on MSDN?

I use google to search MSDN because the site is slow. ;) Usually I search for class names or names that might be class names and google gives me what I want. But if you want a list of all the classes and functions, you kind of have to browse MSDN instead of search.

Download MSDN on your computer. I have it and the search takes short time

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.