So I'm working on a GUI program in Java, and I'm having problems dealing with some text fields i have.

The text fields are resizing themselves the same size of the window, making them much larger than I wish.

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/ElChibo/tioex-2.jpg[/IMG]

I would like all of the text labels to be about the same size as the file loaded box (except for venue fee, that should be a little shorter.

As for how the GUI is setup..
(im not including all my code because its really long lol, and most of it is unneeded for this problem)

There's a JTabbedPane JTabbedPane tabbedPane = new JTabbedPane(); in which is the tournament panel tabbedPane.addTab("Tournament", tournamentIcon, makeTournamentPanel(), "Manage your tournament"); The Jcomponent makeTournamentPanel() returns the JPanel tournamentPanel which has a box layout made up of 3 other panels (the 3 clear segments in the tournament tab)

JPanel tournamentPanel = new JPanel();
tournamentPanel.setLayout(new BoxLayout(tournamentPanel, BoxLayout.PAGE_AXIS));
tournamentPanel.add(filePanel);
tournamentPanel.add(entryPanel);
tournamentPanel.add(setPanel);

return tournamentPanel;

The filePanel resizes fine and the text box doesn't resize itself at all JTextField fileText = new JTextField(20); However for the entryPanel...

JPanel entryPanel = new JPanel();
		entryPanel.setLayout(new BoxLayout(entryPanel, BoxLayout.PAGE_AXIS));
		entryPanel.add(new JLabel("Name:"));
		tourneyName = new JTextField(25);
		entryPanel.add(tourneyName);
		entryPanel.add(new JLabel("Organizer: (optional)"));
		tourneyOrganizer = new JTextField(25);
		entryPanel.add(tourneyOrganizer);
		entryPanel.add(new JLabel("Location: (optional)"));
		tourneyLocation = new JTextField(25);
		entryPanel.add(tourneyLocation);
		entryPanel.add(new JLabel("Date:"));
		tourneyDate = new JTextField(25);
		entryPanel.add(tourneyDate);
		entryPanel.add(new JLabel("Venue Fee:"));
		tourneyPrice = new JTextField("0",25);
		entryPanel.add(tourneyPrice);

(all the jtextfields are initialized as attributes of the class)

iv had problems with the layouts and stuff to get this right. I tried using a border layout for tournamentpanel originally, but it didnt work so i had to switch to box.

GridBagLayout gives you a pretty good deal of customizability.. http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/layout/gridbag.html

Alternatively, you could stick with whatever Layout Manager you're using and explicitly set the size of the text fields using setSize or setPreferredSize - either of those should stop the text fields from taking up the whole window.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.