This may seem like an easy question, but I am new to vb and though I have searched and searched I have come up empty. What I am trying to do is create a piece of software that will give users access to certain things based on their level. almost all of the data is derived from a sometimes connected mssql database. Im am using winforms with the mssql back end.

I want to be able to give admins the ability to create user account, set the level of the new account, and store this info in a db. What I am trying to achieve with this is the ability for the software to be installed on individual machines, but aloow any registered user to access only what the administrators have given them authority to.

I unfortunately dont know, and have been unseccessful in finding proper ways to store, or call the information.

This is probably a bit ambitious for my level of knowledge, but if I could be pointed in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I dont currently have any code, because I have been totally frustrated. Probably an easy answer, but I either can't find what I'm looking for, or dont know when Im looking at it.

Thanks in advance for any help. Code snippets or even example downloads would be huge, but I'm willing to work through the tutorials if a link is more your style.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Install the database as well in each machine.

The software uses the compact sql that syncs with one on the server. So if one user is added on one machine, when the others sync the users info will be installed in each systems db.

My problem is creating the login system with the sql backend. Me being new to vb, I need a tutorial or something to get me going with communicating back and forth. I have no problem saving to db, but I cant seem to figure out how authenticate info from the db, such as the login, and then allowing access to certain parts of the application.

I will change a setting variable based on the users level.

So really all I need is something to help me with the authentication process.

A centralized DB(Local) for storing usernames, passwords, level, etc. Installing DB on each machine post security issues.

Application checks account's level and displays only what is needed to display.

Example: You have two forms, both forms are able to access by the admin. Form2 cannot be accessed by a normal user by simply checking the level of current user.

If Level=1 then
Form2.show()
End If

My experience in VB is low also, this is the only thing I can and will use for your problem

Im probably not eaxplaining it right.
I need a user account, login with a mssql back end. I can pick it a part from there

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.