Hi, I'm doing a matrix of array n I have to assign each column with a letter or number so that when I shuffle the letters/numbers, it will print out accordingly. this is like the transposition cipher. I have 2 problems.
1. my matrix is not printing out like i want it to which is 5x6. instead it's printing out line by line. I've checked my code with everyone n it's the same. help me figure out what im missing.

2.how do you assign a letter or number to a column?? i've tried using strings and assign the column, but it doesn't work if i need to code the column using numbers. this is what i tried: String 1 = array[][1];

here is my code:

public class Secret {

public static void main(String[]args) {

String str = "this is my very secret message";

int len = str.length();

char array [][] = new char[5][6];

int x = 0;

for (int i = 0; i<5; i++){

for (int j = 0; j<6; j++){

while (x<len) {
					char ch = str.charAt(x);
					x++;
					array[i][j] = ch;
					System.out.println(array[i][j] +" ");
				}
			}

}
	}

}

the outcome tht i'm looking for is:
4 5 3 2 9 7
t h i s i
s m y v
e r y s e
c r e t m
e s s a g e

(ok, the matrix is not typing out as i would have liked but it's taking into consideration the space as well.)
when i type 794532 it will come out according to the column.

if you could help me tht would be great. thank you kindly.

Can you write the out line that you want to take out?

"this is my very secret message"

is tht wht u mean??

That you want you program do? Print the text that you want see after the program finish execute.

o ok..

4 5 3 2 9 7
t h i s i
s m y v
e r y s e
c r e t m
e s s a g e

so if i rearranged it as 792354, it will come out as : iveme s gsy ta imyes tsece

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.