Hi All,

I have an assignment that asks :
Write a program that prompts the user for test scores (doubles). The user enters -1 to stop the entry. After all of the test scores have been entered, calculate the average, the highest and the lowest test score. Use the code below as a template. Make sure you respond appropriately when no test scores are entered. Use the following screen shots as a guide.(I've attached the screen shots)

This is the template:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
double scores[75];
int counter = -1;
do
{
counter++;
cout << "Please enter a score (enter -1 to stop): ";
cin >> scores[counter];
} while (scores[counter] >= 0);
/*
 CALCULATE AND DISPLAY THE AVERAGE
 THE HIGHEST AND LOWEST TEST SCORE
 BELOW HERE -- DO NOT MODIFY THE REST OF
 PROGRAM EXCEPT TO PUT YOUR NAME ETC.
 AT THE TOP. */
}

This is the code that I've come up with after hours of going through my textbook and surfing the web for information:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
	double scores[75];
	int counter = -1;
	do 
	{
		counter++;
		cout <<"Please enter score (enter -1 to stop): ";
			cin >> scores[counter];
	}
	while (scores[counter] >= 0);

double max_value = -10000, min_value = 10000, sum = 0;
                   average;
	int max_index, min_index;

/* Add value to running total */ 
	sum += scores[counter];

/* Compare value to current minimum */
	if (scores[counter] < min_value);
	{	
		min_value = scores[counter];
		min_index = counter;
        }

/* Compare value to current maximum */
	if (scores[counter] > max_value);
        {  
		max_value = scores[counter];
		max_index = counter;
        }

average = sum / scores[counter];
	cout << "Average is " << average << endl;
	cout << "Highest is " << max_value << endl;
	cout << "Lowest is " << min_value << endl;
}

The problem is when I compile I get 2 warnings( "warning C4390: ';' : empty controlled statement found; is this the intent?" lines 24 and 31 ), but worst when entering grades, the program outputs the average, highest element and lowest element as -1. Also when -1 is entered first, it is supposed to exit, instead it again outputs the average, highest element and lowest element as -1 and then exits. :| I've been working really hard and am drawing a blank now. I'm a newb programmer, I know what the program is supposed to be doing, but what am I doing wrong in the code? How can I fix it? :?: Please help, I really want to learn! :confused:

Hmm, I'm not a C++ user (PHP dev) but are those IF conditions on line (23 and 30) supposed to have semicolons? As far as I know, you don't end the start of a conditional statement like that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.