If I type

start microsoft word.exe

or

start internet explorer.exe

those programs won't start. If I type

start notepad.exe

that program will start because I have the right name. Where would I find on my pc or on the web the correct terms / names to use when referring to an applications in ms dos on the cmd line and batch files.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If I type

start microsoft word.exe

or

start internet explorer.exe

those programs won't start. If I type

start notepad.exe

that program will start because I have the right name. Where would I find on my pc or on the web the correct terms / names to use when referring to an applications in ms dos on the cmd line and batch files.

Sounds like you are not in the folder where the program resides or the command you are issuing is not in the command path.

Correct folder location: In the case of Word you would need to issue the following command:

CD C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Word.exe

This command structure is dependant upon how you have set up Windows/Office.

You can issue similar commands at the Command Prompt and get programs to run. You will need to tailor them as the individual program requires.

The PATH and PATHEXT environment settings are used to locate applications that start. So for your example, notepad.exe, there are two conditions that must be met for the program to execute:
1) The program is in the current working directory (cwd) or contained in %PATH% 2) The program extension was explicitly specified or the extension for the file located in %PATH% is one contained in your %PATHEXT% environment setting start notepad also works because .exe is included in %PATHEXT% by default.

C:\>echo %PATH%
C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Norman\Npm\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQLServer\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\PROGRA~1\Borland\Delphi6\Bin;C:\PROGRA~1\Borland\Delphi6\Projects\Bpl;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files\Universal Extractor;C:\Program Files\Universal Extractor\bin;C:\ProgramFiles\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\;C:\Program Files\SlickEdit 2008\win\;C:\Program Files\Windows Installer XML v3\SDK\

C:\>echo %PATHEXT%
.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.PSC1

C:\>

You can change your environment path by going to: Start -- Settings -- Control Panel -- System -- Select the "Advanced Tab" -- and click the "Environment Variables" button.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.