Duh! I'm now using Linux from my external HDD again.
Please suggest a good IDE for me
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

IDLE will work with Linux and so will DrPython and Geany.

IDLE will work with Linux and so will DrPython and Geany.

I don't remember to have tried Geany, how does it do?
How Fast is Eclipse/Pydev in Linux? Anyone using or have experience with PIDA?

Thanks Vega for good suggestions

I use Geany when I need a lightweight IDE. It is fantastic once you get it configured to your needs. I use it all the time. I also use Netbeans with python / jython plugins. When you need an integrated debugger, intelli-sence, and other features of industrial strength IDE I think Netbeans is the way to go.

Not used netbeans for python, but for C++ and Java it rocks.

Eclipse in general is a bit more stable under linux than windows, but still eats lots of memory.

Thanks guys! Installing netbeans now

Thanks guys! Installing netbeans now

Well, once you installed your 100M+ NetBeans IDE run this little test program, or should I say project.

name = raw_input("Enter your name: ")
print name

Notice where the cursor ends up?

Well, once you installed your 100M+ NetBeans IDE run this little test program, or should I say project.

name = raw_input("Enter your name: ")
print name

Notice where the cursor ends up?

Not really sure what you mean by this?

Enter your name: ^Tyrant
Tyrant

The cursor ends up at the ^ after the program ends. However the location of the cursor after the program ends is kind of irrelevant since you can no longer type in the output box anyways.

Not really sure what you mean by this?

Enter your name: ^Tyrant
Tyrant

The cursor ends up at the ^ after the program ends. However the location of the cursor after the program ends is kind of irrelevant since you can no longer type in the output box anyways.

In my version of Netbeans (6.7 for Windows) the cursor does not go to the output window, but remains in the code window. If the hour is late, and you don't catch it, you type in your name and it will be part of your code, screwing it up royally.

If I want to test a small piece of code, I have t make a project out of it. Also, it can take a coffee break's time waiting for NetBeans to fire up.

I hope our friend evstevemd will find out how to run versions 2 and 3 of Python selectably from NetBeans.

In my version of Netbeans (6.7 for Windows) the cursor does not go to the output window, but remains in the code window. If the hour is late, and you don't catch it, you type in your name and it will be part of your code, screwing it up royally.

If I want to test a small piece of code, I have t make a project out of it. Also, it can take a coffee break's time waiting for NetBeans to fire up.

I hope our friend evstevemd will find out how to run versions 2 and 3 of Python selectably from NetBeans.

Hmm thats odd, doesn't happen for me. I am on linux but who knows. For the small scripts / projects however I prefer Geany. For all the reasons you have just mentioned.

And just for fun:
In the toolbar > tools > Python Platforms > New > go to directory were python is installed at double click on the interpreter.

http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeansPythonTutorial

And just for fun:
In the toolbar > tools > Python Platforms > New > go to directory were python is installed at double click on the interpreter.

That worked when I went for Python 2.5.4, but it refuses to cooperate with Python 3.1.1 might just be the usual Windows stuff.

Nope! I'm not into 3 yet ;)
The Only thing that is hindering me, is a waited wxPython for 3. I have 2.6.4 installed.

Also I haven't decided Yet what to use as Python IDE. Netbeans is good at Java/PHP but I don't like to use it as PyIDE. I think it will be the last option. I still look for another IDE. My Favoriye is always wing but 101 version have no intellisense.

I will go for Wing IDE 101 if all other fails and try NB 6.8 too :)
IF onlly eclipse wasn't resource hunger, Pydev is mature

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.