I am trying to write a TFTP server. I have successfully completed the code, it is fully RFC 1350 compliant.
However, I wrote the whole thing in Haiku OS, and in Haiku, it works great. However, I also need a DHCP server, and I don't have one for Haiku. So I need to port my TFTP server to Linux.
Now the code compiles fine in linux, but does not receive any packets sent to it. I can do wireshark captures and see that the packets are arriving, but my server does not receive them. I added some debugging printfs and found that bind is returning a -1 (instead of 0 like in Haiku). I am running the executable as root, so its not a permissions issue. Am I doing something wrong? Here is some of my code:

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int sock, length, n;
struct sockaddr_in server;
struct hostent *hp;
unsigned char buffer[1024];

//Set up and open datagram socket
sock=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);

//Setup socket properties
server.sin_family = AF_INET;
server.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY;
server.sin_port = htons(69);

length = sizeof(struct sockaddr_in);

n=bind(sock,(struct sockaddr *)&server,length);
//Finish setting up datagram socket. It should be open.

printf("%d\n",n);

So where did I go wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/multipage/syscalls.html#bind

Since your port is <1024, are you running as root?

Some more error checking wouldn't go amiss either. You might have found the error to be "EPERM" or something.

I am running the executable as root, so its not a permissions issue.

Yes, I am running as root. sudo ./tftps I'm thinking maybe something else is using that port, but I uninstalled all other tftp severs, and I see no other traffic on wireshark.
Meanwhile, i'll add some more error checking. I have a tendency to use printf for all debugging.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.