I am a beginner in visual basic programming.I need guidance for the approach needed to make a program.Its part of my study.

I have a song book(in paper) containing hymns in various languages.I want to make a program that displays the hymns when given a search query like the beginning letter of the hymn.Finally I need to project a selected hymn onto a screen.

Please advise on this regard.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Well first off lets make sure you are using Visual Basic 6.0 AKA Classic VB and not any of the .NET versions, which are 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, and coming soon 2010.

Now, if you actually have the Classic Version of Visual Basic, the next question is what is your targeted OS's. XP, Vista, 7?

Next question is,... The hymn book, does it contain sheet music also or just the words and if it does contain the sheet music, do you want to display that?

Okay, if it does contain sheet music and you want to display it, then you will need a scanner to scan the pages in, and to do this with VB on XP and new systems you will need to goto Microsofts web site and search for WIA SDK (Windows Image Acquisition Software Development Kit). This will allow you to interface with the scanner and save the images as tiff or jpeg.

Lets see,... You will also need an ADO tutorial, which if you search the web with your friends (yahoo, google, ask, answers, bing) you will fine more than one.

Now, if you don't have classic visual basic 6.0 and you are learning one of the .NET versions then I would suggest you goto the .NET forum and ask your question or PM a mod to have this thread moved.

Good Luck

Thank you for the response.
I use visual basic 6.Target OS's are XP,Vista and 7.It doesn't contain sheet music.It just contain words in various languages including english.

Well first off lets make sure you are using Visual Basic 6.0 AKA Classic VB and not any of the .NET versions, which are 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, and coming soon 2010.

Now, if you actually have the Classic Version of Visual Basic, the next question is what is your targeted OS's. XP, Vista, 7?

Next question is,... The hymn book, does it contain sheet music also or just the words and if it does contain the sheet music, do you want to display that?

Okay, if it does contain sheet music and you want to display it, then you will need a scanner to scan the pages in, and to do this with VB on XP and new systems you will need to goto Microsofts web site and search for WIA SDK (Windows Image Acquisition Software Development Kit). This will allow you to interface with the scanner and save the images as tiff or jpeg.

Lets see,... You will also need an ADO tutorial, which if you search the web with your friends (yahoo, google, ask, answers, bing) you will fine more than one.

Now, if you don't have classic visual basic 6.0 and you are learning one of the .NET versions then I would suggest you goto the .NET forum and ask your question or PM a mod to have this thread moved.

Good Luck

Hi
I am not sure wether I am correct or not but you can use a text box with multi-select property set to true.
Hope this helps you.

Okay then, you will need the ADO tutorial for accessing a database, that is if that is the route you want to go, or you could use a bunch of text files, which on one had would be easier but on another hand would be harder to keep track of.

So, I suggest an ADO tutorial, with an access database as your back end. You could also use the data form wizard, which can be found under add-ins>add-in manager if you have pro or enterprise editions.

Good Luck

The hymns are in the book.What shall I do about it?

Okay then, you will need the ADO tutorial for accessing a database, that is if that is the route you want to go, or you could use a bunch of text files, which on one had would be easier but on another hand would be harder to keep track of.

So, I suggest an ADO tutorial, with an access database as your back end. You could also use the data form wizard, which can be found under add-ins>add-in manager if you have pro or enterprise editions.

Good Luck

Well, you will need to type them in, or if you are willing, you could create another program to OCR digital scans of each page of the book. Which means you will need a scanner or at least access to one.

Now if I remember correctly, your target OS is XP and above, so you will need to download MS's WIA SDK if you create this scanning program yourself.

You will also need to search the web for OCR SDK's if you decide to go this route. Lead has a nice set of tools but they are quite pricey. There are a few OCR engines out there that are free trialware and if I remember correctly there are a couple that are free to develop with but not distribute.

Back to typeing them in. You said multiple languages, well that could confuse OCR engines so you will need to check their language support or you could use a RTB (Rich Text Box) control (or wordpad) to type them in with.

Good Luck

Hi
Very well said vb5prgrmr. Your suggestions are really very helpful.

Thanks vb5prgrmr and ankush.mukherje for your valuable suggestions.I haven't decided yet to choose which option.

Hi
I think you can mark your thread as solved now as one of these solutions will surely work.
Happy Programming

i am trying to develop a project on text steganography. so tell me the appropriate compression technique for that.and also give the guidence about it.

Hi Sanpatil
I think you should have started a new forum for this help.
Still I would tell you that do tell us the version you are using. Then may be we can help you.
Happy Programing

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.