Hello to all my fellow IT people!

I have two questions!

I would like to start learning how to program! Is Java a good beginners language to start with and if it is not what is a good language?

My second question is if Java is a good language then what are some good books or websites that could help me with learning the language.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I have two questions!

I would like to start learning how to program! Is Java a good beginners language to start with and if it is not what is a good language?

My second question is if Java is a good language then what are some good books or websites that could help me with learning the language.

i givse your the address of one site check it for tutorials.
www.roseindia.net

No, do not use roseindia. There are some good learning materials stickied at the top of this site.

I have two questions!

Java is one of the best languages out there if you meant that but I don't recommend it to begin with though it is possible to learn with Java. The reason is, there is easier and elegant language called Python. Start with that. It is full of free and printed books out there

To repeat what BJSJC has said, there is a sticky at the very top of the forum which lists out all things that a beginner of the language might require including free online books, tutorials, links to get the JDK, names of a few of the best books etc which would require sometime to be digested. So for all your needs for a few months from now you could keep dropping there.

As for the books my personal favourite is "Thinking in Java" the site also includes links to download the book's pdf version along with it's source. The current edition is the 4th but the 3rd is equally nice with a few changes in the 4th.

As for the roseindia site do not refer to it. They do not follow the right practices.

Although java is a good language to begin with as OOP.....but i will recommend you to get a sneak peek into C++ as well.........it will help you get a healthy grasp over object orientation concept......you can always start with complete java reference ....then you can grab a copy of Khalid Mughal java book.....which will help you thoroughly regarding your java doubts.......

I have two questions!

yes... it will be good for you to start in HTML or CSS.. Try to use www.w3school.com..God Bless You for your study

yes... it will be good for you to start in HTML or CSS.. Try to use www.w3school.com..God Bless You for your study

Ehh ? HTML is a markup language it is used to generate static web pages to be viewed using a browser. He was asking about programming languages and Java in particular.

I would like to say thank you to everybody, for the help you have given me I greatly apperciate it!

Just marked the thread solved if your query has been resolved.

I think java is as good as any other language to start with. I started with java because no other language was taught i first year university. I think the problem with java for beginners is that it gets complex quite fast. If I had to start all over again I would start with python. For your second question there is no general answer. Just google "java beginners tutorials". Thats what I usually do. You will have heaps of possibility. Just brows along and when it gets to complicated look for a page where it is better explained.

I have two questions!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.