Member Avatar for onaclov2000

I've been given an assignment in class to take some code and work on improving the optimization, we can either write new code or use old code.

For some reason I can't think of anything that would be a good example of code that can use multiple optimization techniques,
I.E. Code Motion, Parallelism, Algorithm...etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Onaclov

The Art of sorting?
The Art of searching?
The Art of finding shortest path?

Member Avatar for onaclov2000

I'm looking for programs that say have a function that runs too slow, and I can look at it and try to speed it up, via either algorithms, parallelism, code motion (parallelism is executing statments in an order that works best for the processor, code motion is moving things out of loops if possible, so they don't get executed x number of times when they really only need one), and other techniques we're learning.

If you know of any open source projects that I could look at that would be even better, but specific cases, someone saying "look at ubuntu" would not be helpful, now if they said, hey look at this function within the gnome window manager where we're drawing windows, it's running too slow, take a look at it and see if you can do something with it.!

I suppose I'm asking alot and I'm sorry but I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas right off the top of their heads!
Thank you,
onaclov

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.