trying to do input checking for an alpha character inputted where a numeric one is needed. I've implemented this function firstChoice() to allow a certain response is '2' or '3' was picked and then another certain response for anything other than '0 '1' '2' or '3'. I must add another check to see if the number is an alpha character. From what I've read, both isdigit() and isalpha() use 'char' types, but for my sitation i need 'choice' as an integer type...any suggestions?:?:?:

int firstChoice()
{
    int choice;
    cin >> choice;

if (choice==1 || choice==0)
    {
        return choice;
    }
        while(choice!=0 && choice !=1)
        {
            if (choice == 2 || choice == 3)
            {
                cout << "Enter the polynomial first\n0. Quit\n1. Enter polynomial\n2. Print polynomial\n3. Integrate\n\nEnter your choice : ";
                cin >> choice;
            }
            if (choice != 0 && choice != 1 && choice != 2 && choice != 3)
            {
                cout << "'" << choice << "'is an invalid choice\nEnter your choice : ";
                cin >> choice;
            }
        }

{
        return choice;
    }
}

SAMPLE OUTPUT (what i want is in red, other is already fitted into code):

Enter your choice : 2
'2' is an invalid choice

0. (option 0)
1. (option 1)
2. (option 2)
3. (option 3)
Enter your choice : 9
'9' is an invalid choice
Enter your choice : w
'w' is an invalid choice
Enter your choice :

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Do you actually need the numbers for calculation within your method? If not just take them in as char and check versus '1' (etc.) in lines 10-17.
If you really need the numbers themselves, take them in as char and convert to the numerical value by subtracting '0'

e.g.,

char one = '1';
int ione = one - '0';  //a char is really a 1 byte int anyway

Check an ASCII table to see why this works.

//a char is really a 1 byte int anyway

Check an ASCII table to see why this works.

Ha yes I was looking up variables a moment ago and realized this as well. No these numbers indicate which path to take (it is a menu, I can provide the whole thing if need be but i feel it may be complicating moreso). Technically I should be able to place a if(isdigit(choice)) {} loop at the top of my code, then at the bottom before the end of the prototype I can finish with an else {"Wrong value"}, right?

Yes, that would work. Eventually you might want to put that if else sequence into a while (or do/while) loop so that you can get the user to re-enter.

It's not not recognizing numbers that I input, for example,

Enter your choice : 1
'1' is an invalid choice
Enter your choice : 2
'2' is an invalid choice
Enter your choice :
int firstChoice()
{
    char choice;
    cin >> choice;

if(isdigit(choice))
    {
        {
            return choice;
        }
        while(choice!=0 && choice !=1)
        {
            if (choice == 2 || choice == 3)
            {
                cout << "Enter the polynomial first\n0. Quit\n1. Enter polynomial\n2. Print polynomial\n3. Integrate\n\nEnter your choice : ";
                cin >> choice;
            }
            if (choice != 0 && choice != 1 && choice != 2 && choice != 3)
            {
                cin >> choice;
            }
        }

{
        return choice;
    }
    }
    else
    {
        cin >> choice;
    }
}

You need to check versus '1' etc. (with the single quotation marks). Ignore any of my previous edits.

I was just thinking about that. You need isalnum() (or probably better isdigit() )instead.

isalnum() would return true for both,
isdigit() is what I am currently using, and it doesn't identify numbers (may be my implementation though)

Yes, sorry, I missed the real problem. See my edit above. (choice == '1' etc.)

Haha getting messed up on edits, I did an edit as well:
isdigit() is what I am currently using, and it doesn't identify numbers (may be my implementation though)

Since your numbers are characters all must be enclosed in single quotes

int firstChoice()
{
    char choice;
    cin >> choice;

if(isdigit(choice))
    {
        if (choice=='1' || choice=='0')
        {
            return choice;
        }
        while(choice!='0' && choice !='1')

is what I meant. Goes for anytime you are comparing characters.

Ahh, I see. Thank you for the help! Too tired to get anything really done tonight but this should solve my final problem. Another challenge for the morning! :S

Good luck with it. There were a couple of false starts there on my part but it should be fine now. Post back if you have probs.

Had a few more things to fix as far as the char types. Had to change my prototype to issue a char value as well as my switch statements to '1' etc. to fit with it (confused the hell out of me for the longest time). I'll post a thread in a few days of the code after the due date is over (first 150+ line of code, although about at least 50 lines are redundant ha). Nonetheless, thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.