Hello people,
I'm completely new to Python, and I mean new. I've had some experience with programming in Java and C++. Although, the truth remains that I haven't had any experiments with GUI. But that I will do....
Also, now the time for the doubts,
1.Is Python entirely OOP?
2.If, one wants to declare a variable, is no return-type require, also, for method definition.
3.I also gather from vegaseat's guide that a method can return two values at a time. If this feature exists in Java, I haven't used it, I would prefer the void return-type in that case.
4.Also, it so seems that the syntaxes in different versions of Python are different, is that so?
5.You can fill me in with most information that I would require to start programming with Python if time would permit You.

Thanking entire DaniWeb,
Regards,
Gary.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

1) Yes, everything you manipulate in python is an object, an instance of a class.
2) You never need to declare the type of anything.
3) When a function returns more than 1 value, it returns in fact a *tuple*, one of python's FDT. There is no reason to avoid using this feature in python.
4) Python's syntax evolved *slowly* with the different versions of python. The recent change from python 2.6 to 3.0 introduced a few backwards incompatibility. The most visible syntactic changes are the print and exec statements which became functions in python 3. In previous versions, syntactic changes added new features without backwards incompatibility (for example list comprehension syntax or with statement syntax, etc).
5) You could start with an introductive text like 'dive into python' (google is your friend).

I'd answer number 1 a little differently than Gribouillis.

Technically everything under the hood is entirely object oriented and you can certainly write pure object oriented programs in Python, but it is also possible to write programs in a purely functional style as well.

As for number 5?

You can fill me in if time would permit you.

:D

Thank You,
Will get back here if required.
Truly thankful,

Regards,
Gary.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.