Hi guys, I have written a simple script to get a bunch of lines from a text file (they will be filenames eventually) which are split by new lines and puts each one into an array..

Dim ary() As String

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

If My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists("C:\MenuFiles.txt") Then
            Dim str As String = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllText("C:\MenuFiles.txt")
            ary = str.Split(vbNewLine)

Me.TextBox1.Text = ary(1)

.............now with ary(0) it is fine and desplayed properly but with the latter elements of the array I get a "square" (which is the 'icon' for a new line is it not?) before each name.

see this screenshot...

[img]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1282/issue.jpg[/img]

The only thing I can do for now is either use the substring function to remove the first character from all array values after 0 but I don't like that because it's messy and what if the split "works" as I want it to one one of the lines and knocks of the first character when I don't want it to.

I have found lots on the web about splitting by new line but none seem to cover this issue.

Look at using File.ReadAllLines instead. It returns an array of strings for you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.