Hi all,

I am trying to learn the basic concept about array, however when I tried to change the type into string, it shows error .. I am using IDE visual studio 2005

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{

string stName[20];
	cout << "what is your name? " << endl;
	cin >> stName;
	cout << stName << endl;
}

Thanks for the assistance..

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

In order to place the string into the array of strings you must specify an index. E.g.,

cin >> stName[0]; //to write into the first string in the array
cout<<stName[0]<<endl;

In order to place the string into the array of strings you must specify an index. E.g.,

cin >> stName[0]; //to write into the first string in the array
cout<<stName[0]<<endl;

But the question is that, how to show output of all inputs within the array? not just each element.. Example, I want to type " MY NAME" and i will get the result of " MY NAME ". I tried to use char, and it ends up showing only "MY"

thank you..

But the question is that, how to show output of all inputs within the array? not just each element.. Example, I want to type " MY NAME" and i will get the result of " MY NAME ". I tried to use char, and it ends up showing only "MY"

thank you..

The >> operator treats a space as a delimiter, so it'll stop after the first name. Use getline to get a whole line(first and last name.

See the example on this link. It does exactly what you are trying to do.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/getline/

As far as I can tell, you only need one string, not 20. You're only storing one name.

The >> operator treats a space as a delimiter, so it'll stop after the first name. Use getline to get a whole line(first and last name.

See the example on this link. It does exactly what you are trying to do.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/getline/

As far as I can tell, you only need one string, not 20. You're only storing one name.

I see.. yes, it is all clear. Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.