I have a VB app that uses the ITC control to download a files from an FTP site. It works fine on Windows 2000 but it will not connect to the FTP site on an XP machine. It most likely has something to do with the SP2 firewall but I can't seem to solve the problem. I've tried to manually open port 20 and 21. I've tried to add my application to the exemptions list. I've even tried to completely disable the firewall but it still won't connect. I created a second test app that uses the same control to access an ftp site and Windows popped up a message asking if I wanted to allow the app to access the internet. I clicked yes and then the app worked fine. The only problem is windows does not pop up the message for my real application. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'm wondering if, maybe, the ITC version that is used on 2k is not compatible with XP.... I know that sounds a little far fetched, but if that is the case (which is sounds like to me) you could create a sub folder for XP, and 2k, and have the required version of the control in each sub folder, and then test what version of windows you are on, and copy the itc accordingly....

Thanks for the info… I will look for different versions of the msinet.ocx file and see if it makes a difference.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.