I really need some help implementing counters. I have to count the suits and faces drawn from the deck but for some reason all outputs is junk numbers. Am I missing something? I what it to come out something like this:

Say a player is dealt:

Ace of Hearts
Ten of Clubs
Ace of Clubs
Eight of Hearts
Seven of Diamonds

2 2 1 0 // see this one counts the 2 hearts drawn, the 2 clubs, etc.
0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 2

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

#define SUITS 4
#define FACES 13
#define AVAILABLE 0
#define TAKEN 1

void dealACard(int suitsInHand[], int facesInHand[],char *suits[], char *faces[], int deck[][FACES]);
void dealAHand(int suitsInHand[], int facesInHand[], char *suits[], char *faces[], int deck[][FACES]);
//void analyzeHand();

main(){
	char *suits[4] = {"Hearts", "Diamonds", "Spades", "Clubs"};
	char *faces[13] = {"Two", "Three", "Four", "Five", "Six", "Seven",
		"Eight", "Nine", "Ten", "Jack", "Queen", "King", "Ace"};
	int deck[4][13] = { AVAILABLE };
	int i;

int suitsInHand[4];
	int facesInHand[13];

int suitsInHand2[4];
	int facesInHand2[13];

srand(time(NULL));

dealAHand(suitsInHand, facesInHand, suits, faces, deck);  
	dealAHand(suitsInHand2, facesInHand2, suits, faces, deck);

system("pause");

}
void dealAHand(int suitsInHand[], int facesInHand[], char *suits[], char *faces[], int deck[][FACES]){
	int i;
	for(i = 0; i < 5; i++)
		dealACard(suitsInHand, facesInHand, suits, faces, deck);

printf("\n");
}
void dealACard(int suitsInHand[], int facesInHand[], char *suits[], char *faces[], int deck[][FACES]){
	int suitIndex, faceIndex;

suitIndex = rand() % 4;
	faceIndex = rand() %13;

while( deck[suitIndex][faceIndex] == TAKEN ){
		suitIndex = rand() % 4;
		faceIndex = rand() %13;
	}
	deck[suitIndex][faceIndex] = TAKEN;
       /* Here are the counters but all it outputs is junk. Do I need a for loop?*/
	facesInHand[faceIndex]++;
	suitsInHand[suitIndex]++;

printf("%s of %s \n", faces[faceIndex], suits[suitIndex]);

}

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. If my question still seems a bit hazy, I will be happy to clarify some more. Thanks for any help :)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Take all the way too many cooks, out of the kitchen -- they're spoiling the meal.

Make a struct for each card:

struct card {
  int value;
  char name[20];
  char suit[10];
  char icon; //3,4,5,or 6 in ASCII chart
  int dealt;
  //etc.
}card1;

int main() {
  struct card cards[52];

There's a lot of info to keep track of in a card game. If you gather most of it up into a few structs, it really helps minimize the complexity, and make the whole thing much more reasonable to understand.

Icon's are char's because ASCII table has char's for suits of cards:

for(i = 3; i <7 ; i++)
  printf("%c", card_icon);

For a simple console poker program, they look OK. Better than anything I could draw that small, for sure. I was going to post a pic of the output, but both paint and the image software program I have (Irfanview), think that these suit icons should be replaced by question marks.

They work fine on screen, however. I'm dismayed to see that they don't work in these programs.

@adak Thanks for the reply. I use the functions to minimize the complexity of the game though. I'm not really familiar with structs. I'm using suitsInHand and facesInHand as my counter variables.

I'm not much of a card player, but I think it's helpful if you arrange your suits according to their rank, if the cards face values, ever tie:

Diamonds, then Hearts, then Clubs, then Spades.

I believe that's right.

I'm going to butt out here, I guess. When I see stuff like this, I know you're either quite the genius, or quite mad:

suitIndex = rand() % 4;
	faceIndex = rand() %13;

while( deck[suitIndex][faceIndex] == TAKEN ){
		suitIndex = rand() % 4;
		faceIndex = rand() %13;
       }

Good luck!

? Thanks for the replies anyway :)

Did you actually zero out your counters?

Yea I caught that

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.