Hi all

This is the file i wanna write a program for http://www.mediafire.com/?vzrz1ymnmlq . It contains a database with a game's "spells", the damage they do, they're icon and other useful info i wanna see. I wanna get this file in an sql executable format and into my sql database. I found a lot of dbc2csv and csv2sql converters but none of them works good with this file so i wanna write my own converter but its not a normal file and its a dbc file and need some special decryption or something that i can not figure out how its done but there are other programs that have made it. If u search in Google for DBC editor or DBC viewer u can see a lot of them but i couldn't find open source one.

So if anyone can tell me how to decrypt or whatever it needs to be done to open it the normal way that this programs open it, it will make me very happy :) .

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

from what I seen in this link that is a file produced by Visual FoxPro. So the easiest way to do what you want is to buy a copy of VFP and let it export the data to a text file.

Also read this link

from what I seen in this link that is a file produced by Visual FoxPro. So the easiest way to do what you want is to buy a copy of VFP and let it export the data to a text file.

Also read this link

Hi again.

Never worked with FoxPro before. Since yesterday i read some guides and walkthroughts and after installing FoxPro and upgrading it to SP2 I guess I have to click File -> open -> file... -> and then i should choose the .dbc file in my visual studio, but it say in a Microsoft Visual FoxPro that it is not a database. I guess it is not a FoxPro file? Can you please try open it with FoxPro? Any other way to open it?
Also in the help it says:
"The database operation you have attempted failed because the file was not a valid database.

Try again with a file of the correct type."

Thanks.

so either it's encrypted, a different version of FP, corrupted, or another datatype entirely.

Whichever, it's not as if you're supposed to open and read a file for an application that's not yours.

so either it's encrypted, a different version of FP, corrupted, or another datatype entirely.

Whichever, it's not as if you're supposed to open and read a file for an application that's not yours.

Not corrupted cuz i open it with all the other editers/converters/viewers i found searching for "dbc editer", "dbc viewer", dbc2csv. File is component of the game World of Warcraft and contains info about the spells so I'm pretty sure it's not property of the guys making the editors either. From what i see it's a database containing no field names and no field types either, just values. Here is an open source project that opens and reads the dbc's successfully http://github.com/mangos/mangos : However digging through it i don't know how it opens them. Tracing the code some time with "find all references" on my visual studio and can't seem to find for example where fieldscount is being initialized but when debbuging i found out it has a value, but where it get its value from remain a secret for me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.