I'm a newborn to programming and my instructor has thrown me to the wolves. I'm trying to compile this simple program but I get these syntax errors.
1>y:\d03423388\desktop\projct3\projct3\prjct3.cpp(16) : error C2059: syntax error : '<<'

What do I do with '<<' ?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

No idea whatsoever. You didn't post any code. Look at Line 16 of the file prjct3.cpp. You have a statement written incorrectly on that line.

Are you trying to do a left bitshift, inject data into an output stream, or something else that's completely off the wall?

I'm a newborn to programming and my instructor has thrown me to the wolves. I'm trying to compile this simple program but I get these syntax errors.
1>y:\d03423388\desktop\projct3\projct3\prjct3.cpp(16) : error C2059: syntax error : '<<'

What do I do with '<<' ?

#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>

using namespace std;

int main(void)
{

}

int cout; << "**********" << endl;
int cout; << "* *" << endl;
int cout; << "* *" << endl;
int cout; << "**********" << endl;
here's my code like I said I'm totally new.

That doesn't look right. The code should be in this format:

#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>

using namespace std;
int main ()
{
cout << "**********" << endl;
cout << "* *" << endl;
cout << "* *" << endl;
cout << "**********" << endl;
return 0;
}

cout is not a variable so you can't say

int cout

Thanks I'm going to need a lot of studying.

In computer science a syntax error refers to an error in the syntax of a sequence of characters or tokens that is intended to be written in a particular programming language.
In standard C++, friend name injection is not performed. Friend functions that need to be found by ordinary name look up must first be declared in the class's namespace.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.