i am writing a program to find all integers that have 5 perfect squares within 30 of them... here is what i have so far:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int range[60];//since "within 30" means to more and 30 less

void integer(int testInteger) //testInteger is the integer to use to create an array of integers 30 greater than and 30 less than it
{
	int locationInRange = 0;//default for location in the array to be filled in (range[60])
	int upperBound = testInteger + 30;//30 more
	int lowerBound = testInteger - 30;//30 less

for (lowerBound; lowerBound <= upperBound; lowerBound++)//"lowerBound" is used here because the array fills from last term to first term (i.e. -30 to 30)
	{
		range[locationInRange] = lowerBound;//every location in the array has a corresponding and incremented integer it originates from
		locationInRange++;
	}
}

int main()
{
	int n = 0;
	int perfectSquares[6];//size doesnt need to be bigger than 6 because past 6^2 there are no five consecutive perfect squares with a range of less than or equal to 30
	int locationOfSquare = 0;
	for (n; n <= 6; n++)
	{
		perfectSquares[locationOfSquare] = n * n;// makes array of position n have value of n^2: creates the array of perfect squares
		locationOfSquare++;
	}

int count = 0;
	for (int k = -14; k <= 36; k++)//loop through values -14 <= k <= 36 because of inequality (n+5)^2-n^2 > 30 and upper bound
	{
		integer(k);
		for (int i = 0; i <=60; i++)//loop through range[60]
		{
			for (int j = 0; j <= 6; j++)//loop through perfectSquares[6]
			{
				int qualification;
				if (range[i] == perfectSquares[j])//find intersecting elements of range[60] and perfectSquares[6] and count
				{
					count++;
					qualification = 1;
				}
				while (qualification == 1)
				{
					cout << range[k] << endl;//display integers that work
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

the part that i have a problem with is counting. im not sure how to do it in a way that gives me only the right integer values.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What do you mean by "right integer values?"

in this case a "right" integer would be one that has exactly five perfect squares within 30 of it. for example, -14 has within 30 of it exactly five perfect squares: 0,1,4,9,16

some of the code is really messed up, like the while loop near the end

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.