I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I do use c++ so....yah. My problem is that I don't know what to do now. I'm certain I haven't mastered c++, but I think I've mastered the basics. So now I'm thinking "What now"? Is there some API that I can learn or should I learn another language or try to make a game? Please help. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

You think you've mastered the basics?

Show us what you can do :)

I would look into a GUI system such as Qt4. This will allow you to make professional looking applications.

Dave

Edward would like to master the basics... Nothing is more marketable than a developer with super sturdy foundations.

> So now I'm thinking "What now"?
Now you start writing software. There are system APIs and GUI APIs, and tools like Boost that will keep you busy learning for a long time. Try joining an open source project or getting an internship. The only way to really understand what you need to know is to hit roadblocks while coding that force you to learn new concepts, tools, and techniques. :)

There are system APIs and GUI APIs,

Okay, I would like to learn system APIs. What do I do? Google "System APIs"? :P

Okay, I would like to learn system APIs. What do I do? Google "System APIs"? :P

As was mentioned above, there is a GUI library called QT, and an overall library called Boost. Also, you can look into learning the Standard Template Library (referred to as STL).

Edit: Also, there is a post here on DW that recommends several books (including STL, etc) that you might look into: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread70096.html. I've been using a couple of C++ books myself, and they have helped tremendously. Searching Amazon for the specific topics you're interested in (i.e., game development) will definitely give you plenty of resources to check out.

> Okay, I would like to learn system APIs. What do I do?
Pick a system, then read about the API to get an idea of what it contains. For example, on Windows you might browse the MSDN library, read Jeffrey Richter's Advanced Windows books, and google for more specific stuff that you want to do.

As was mentioned above, there is a GUI library called QT, and an overall library called Boost. Also, you can look into learning the Standard Template Library (referred to as STL).

Edit: Also, there is a post here on DW that recommends several books (including STL, etc) that you might look into: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread70096.html. I've been using a couple of C++ books myself, and they have helped tremendously. Searching Amazon for the specific topics you're interested in (i.e., game development) will definitely give you plenty of resources to check out.

Thank you, I looked up QT and it looks pretty interesting. I'll probably look into it. I already know some STL. Can you use QT in an IDE like Code::Block or do you have to download a separate compiler?

> Okay, I would like to learn system APIs. What do I do?
Pick a system, then read about the API to get an idea of what it contains. For example, on Windows you might browse the MSDN library, read Jeffrey Richter's Advanced Windows books, and google for more specific stuff that you want to do.

Ok, thanks. Do you know of any API(s) that allow you to work with Windows system functions like working with the OS? Thats kinda vague, but I would like to get to more in-depth programming functions and applications.

Thank you, I looked up QT and it looks pretty interesting. I'll probably look into it. I already know some STL. Can you use QT in an IDE like Code::Block or do you have to download a separate compiler?

Good question; Google and C::B's forums should provide you with the appropriate answer. :)

> Can you use QT in an IDE like Code::Block or do you have to download a separate compiler?
Ed says NO PROBLEM! Qt is just another third party library. You can link to static and dynamic libraries with any compiler supported by Code::Blocks. Code::Blocks is written with wxWidgets, which is another GUI library you might be interested in.

> Do you know of any API(s) that allow you to work with Windows system functions like working with the OS?
That *is* the Windows API. It is described completely at MSDN. You can also find C++ wrapper libraries in the form of MFC and ATL, as well as others that are not written by Microsoft. But Edward strongly recommends learning the Win32 API first because it is the underlying workhorse of all the wrappers. If you know Win32, you can kick ass even if your convenient wrapper is taken away. Ed knows quite a few Windows developers who cannot make that claim. ;)

> Can you use QT in an IDE like Code::Block or do you have to download a separate compiler?
Ed says NO PROBLEM! Qt is just another third party library. You can link to static and dynamic libraries with any compiler supported by Code::Blocks. Code::Blocks is written with wxWidgets, which is another GUI library you might be interested in.

> Do you know of any API(s) that allow you to work with Windows system functions like working with the OS?
That *is* the Windows API. It is described completely at MSDN. You can also find C++ wrapper libraries in the form of MFC and ATL, as well as others that are not written by Microsoft. But Edward strongly recommends learning the Win32 API first because it is the underlying workhorse of all the wrappers. If you know Win32, you can kick ass even if your convenient wrapper is taken away. Ed knows quite a few Windows developers who cannot make that claim. ;)

Lolol. Thanks for the great advice :). Why do you talk in 3rd person?, "Ed knows quite a few...."?

> Why do you talk in 3rd person?
It has been posited that Edward is not quite all there. ;)

Sorry this is a little of topic but does Ein have anything to add to the conversation Edward?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.